Thursday, February 13, 2014

January 2014 Glambag


I'm not entirely sure why, but I feel like this particular review has been taking me forever to write. I think with all of this subscription box catch-up I've been in crazy product testing mode, to the point where I'm almost a bit overwhelmed. Alas, I've somehow managed to plow through and here it finally is - catch up post #4, my January 2014 Glambag review. I have mixed feelings about the products this month, ranging from absolute love, to neutral disinterest. Let's break it down.


Briogio Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
5.25 oz for $26 (sample $4.95 value)

Although I don't normally consider myself a person with dry, damaged, or color treated hair, since I've let my hair get long my ends are usually in need of a good deep conditioning a few times a week.  This gel-cream mask easily soaks into your strands and nourishes them with a combination of rosehip, avocado, and argan oils. I didn't find this to be at all greasy or heavy, and it left my hair feeling extra soft without weighing it down. I love that this product is brimming with good-for-you ingredients (the first two on the list are water and aloe) and skips out on the silicone and parabens. My only complaint was the smell. It's actually pretty subtle and not offensive at all, so I'm sure that others won't have a problem with it. For me personally, it has a hint of something that's reminiscent of a medication I was forced to take as a kid and...yeah...bad memory association. But other than that, I think I'd really like to explore more from this line (also, whoever is their graphic designer totally wins, I LOVE their packaging!).


Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow Creamy Eye Pencil in Penny
1.5g for $14.99 (sample $7.00 value)

I am definitely a sucker for eye products, but having not loved the Elizabeth Mott mascara we received a few months ago, I was a bit skeptical about this shadow pencil. Given it's size, I feel like this is much more practically labeled as an eyeliner than a shadow pencil, although the color is light enough that it could theoretically be used all over the lid. Penny is a warm copper color with gold glitter. It's relatively creamy and glides on with ease. To be honest, I haven't test driven this one too much yet, so I can't say whether not it has amazing lasting power. I'm sure that if I fall in love in the future I will post an update.


MALIN+GOETZ Mojito Lip Balm
Full-Size, $12

This lip balm. Oh, this lip balm. I think I might be mildly obsessed. Although the texture of this balm is actually more of a gloss, it's so awesome that I'm willing to overlook the slight mislabelling. It's crazy thick and moisturizing without being sticky, greasy, or goopy. It leaves your lips feeling amazingly soft, even with this crazy, dry winter weather we've been having. It also has a subtle, yet delicious minty lime scent (although not so much flavor). I'm so pumped to have gotten a full-sized product, because I've been using this day in and day out since I got it. I'm also really curious now to try out more from the MALIN+GOETZ line. They have some really interesting sounding products!



Faith Aromatherapy Tahitian Monoi Anti-Aging Sugar Scrub
12 oz for $17.99 (sample $1.50 value)

A good body scrub is always a plus to have in the winter months. This one from Faith Aromatherapy will leave your skin feeling silky smooth (although I don't know how much I buy into the anti-aging thing) and has a light, pleasant fragrance. Personally, though, I'm not a huge fan of this format of scrub. Oil based products always leave a greasy feeling residue on my skin, which I'm not entirely a huge fan of. I also really like exfoliating before shaving, and with the oil left behind on your skin, shaving is nearly impossible (at least, if you ever want to use your razor again). My last gripe is that sugar crystals dissolve so quickly that its exfoliating power diminishes just as soon as you get scrubbing. I feel like I'm hating on this, but it really isn't a bad product. It's just not what I'm looking for in an ideal body scrub.


Proactiv+ Mark Fading Pads
Being a person who's had acne for the better part of the last 15 years, I feel like I've tried just about everything out there both prescription and over the counter to make my skin look clear and beautiful (or even just not quite so angry). Proactiv is among ranks of popular acne regimens I've experimented with in the past and did not have much luck with. These mark fading pads do intrigue me, though. In my older age I have less frequent active breakouts, and much more scaring, discoloration, and blackheads. They are still in the to-try pile currently, mainly because I've been faithfully using retinol to treat my acne as per late, and throwing Salicylic acid into the mix while my skin is already extra dry from the winter weather didn't seem like the best idea. However, I will definitely be trying them out in the future!


So there you have it. I honestly think the MALIN+GOETZ lip balm saved this bag for me. Nothing else really wowed me, although the Briogeo line piqued my interest, as all-natural haircare is always appealing to me (and the packaging! I flippin' love that packaging!). If you'd like to learn more about Ipsy and check out what kinds of goodies I've gotten in past bags, check out my in-depth description of the brand.

Total Value: $26