Friday, July 5, 2013

Lazy Day Look & Free Sample Friday

I love the summer.

The heat, the sunshine, the longer days, trading in regular coffee for iced, shoes that show off my latest pedicure...everything about the summertime just makes me feel a little bit happier to be alive.

I think I'm in a little bit of shock that it's already July. The summer months always seem to fly by so quickly, despite my attempts to savor them as much as possible. As a birthday gift to myself I decided to take the 3rd-5th off from work and it has been FANTASTIC. I've already had a whole weekend's worth of time and it's still only Friday!


Wednesday I went on a wine tasting adventure at Gouveia Vineyards in Wallingford, CT with my friend Brittney. We drank wine, at a picnic lunch, and enjoyed the amazing view.

Needless to say, I REALLY needed a day of relaxation, and seeing as it was my birthday, there was no better time to treat myself to one.

To continue the trend of being low-key I plan on spending today poolside. It's going to be around 90 degrees, and I can't think of something I'd rather be doing than lounging around in the water with my friends.

Unfortunately, being in and by the water can expose your skin to even more UV rays than usual, so it's extra important to protect yourself from sun damage. For this week's Free Sample Friday I thought it would be perfectly fitting to try out Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Cream For Face. It's got a SPF 50 rating, and is water resistant for up to 80 minutes. A 2 oz bottle will run you about $35.00, but for good quality sun protection for the delicate skin on your face, it might be worth it.

If you check out the Shiseido website, there is both a a Sun Protection Lotion and Sun Protection Cream in similar bottles. I believe the lotion is for body, while this cream is for the face. It's ultra thick and rich, and really soaks into your skin. It does leave a whiteish cast, so you have to make sure you rub it in really well. The formula definitely feels and smells like a sunscreen, versus a moisturizer with sun protection, but I don't mind that so much for a day where I know I'm going to get more rays than usual.

I will definitely have to post an update later to fill you in post-swimming to see how it holds up. I have good feelings, but you never know. My only concern is that with this being kind of heavy, I hope that my skin won't freak out breakout-wise. Time will tell!

Although protecting my skin from the sun is at the top of my priority list, I do like to feel human as well. Unless you're a swimsuit model posing for a photo shoot I don't really feel that a full face worth of makeup is necessary for a trip to the beach or pool. It is nice, though, to feel polished, and to be able to clean yourself up after your done soaking in the rays. While I'm packing up a bag for my swimming adventure today, I figured I'd share what I'm bringing along.



Cleansing wipes are a great on-the-go product to throw in your beach bag. After a day in the sun, no sink is necessary to rid your face of sweat, oil, and sunscreen. Tinted moisturizer provides lightweight coverage and additional sun protection. Gel blush adds a perfect amount of color back to my cheeks for a natural glow, and a few coats of waterproof black mascara is all your eyes need to pop. Lastly, a tinted lip balm with SPF protects and moisturizes while also adding a pretty hint of pink.

What do you throw in your beach bag to re-beautify after a day by the water? Post in the comments - I'd love to hear about it!

Well lovelies, it's time for me to head out! More updates soon.

Stay gorgeous,
Lauren