Tuesday, May 6, 2014

First Look - Japonesque Color


So, I should start off with a little disclaimer...

I've been going a little crazy with the beauty shopping in the past month or so.

Between amazing sales at ULTA and some ridiculous couponing sessions at CVS I've been able to score some awesome products at prices that are pretty much impossible to pass up. That being said, I have SO much to share with all of you. Rather than try to incorporate everything into giant haul posts, I'm going to break things down into smaller snippets by brand or product type so I can give you a more in-depth look at how everything performs.

To kick things off, I wanted to introduce you to these lovely Japonesque Color goodies that I was able to snag from ULTA at 50% off during their 21 days of beauty sale a few weeks back. I realized that I hadn't heard much about Japonesque Color products before, but they looked awfully pretty, and I thought it might be fun to go out on a limb and give them a try.
These two beauties are the Japonesque Pro Performance Lip Lacquer in Shade 2 and the Japonesque Velvet Touch Blush in Shade 3. First off, how gorgeous is this packaging?! While the actual performance of a product is really the most important selling point for me, the way it looks and feels in my hand is probably a close second. From the sleek and sophisticated lines, to the crisp white-on-black lettering, to the beautiful marbled resin, these are little works of art that I want to proudly display on my vanity.


The Velvet Touch Blush, which retails at $22, comes in 6 different shades - ranging from pinks, to nudes, to bronze tones. I chose Shade 3, which is a peachy-pink with a fine gold shimmer. I found the formula to be quite creamy and pigmented for a powder blush, while also not being so bright as to make for finicky application. As I mentioned before, the packaging really is truly a work of art. The product as a whole is a bit on the small side, while still being big enough to swirl a full-sized blush brush in. I find it has a pretty decent wear time, and was still visible on my cheeks by the end of the work day. All in all I was definitely pleased with this blush.

I had slightly more mixed feelings about the Pro Performance Lip Lacquer, retailing at $20 and available in 8 shades. Although the name clearly states that this is a lacquer, I think I was somehow expecting a product with more of a gloss-like finish to it. Instead, this product has got a thick, mousse-like texture, with high opacity and a vinyl-esque sheen. Shade 2, which I chose, is a bright coral-pink with a hint of gold shimmer. I definitely like the look of this product on the lips, with the coverage of a lipstick, but the softness of a gloss, although it can have a little bit of that "goopy" feel. The brush applicator also picks up quite a bit of product, and given how pigmented the formula is, you definitely need to be more precise with your application. My last gripe is that I don't find that this product "sets" so it tends to transfer everywhere and therefore can fade pretty easily. Still, the packaging once again is oh-so-pretty, and the color range of the line is quite nice.


In general I've got a pretty positive first impression of the Japonesque Color line. Given the quality of the blush, I'm curious about how their other powder products (eyeshadow, pressed powder, and the like) perform. Their luminous foundation also highly intrigues me. I believe that the entire Japonesque Color line is exclusive to ULTA. They've frequently got great deals and promotions going on, so I would keep an eye out if you're interested in picking anything up from the line yourself.

Have you tried any Japonesque Color products before? If so, I'd love to hear which ones and what you thought of them. Or, are their any products from the line you're dying to try? Post me a comment and let me know!

In the meantime, work is calling. Hope all of your weeks are off to a great start!
<3 Lauren