Sunday, January 10, 2016

New in: Drugstore Beauty for Winter & Spring 2016

Guys, the temptation to haul drugstore beauty right now is real. Have you seen how many amazing new launches hit the shelves for the new year? From on-trend makeup to rival hyped high-end brands, to all-natural skincare goodies to make any green beauty lover swoon, there's something for pretty much everyone to get excited about. I'm not gonna lie, I've already picked up a few things that I just couldn't resist trying out for myself, but there so much more out there I'm dying to get my hands on. Here's just a few of the latest products to appear in the drugstore this season that I think are worth checking out!


1. Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation ($10.99)
This new foundation from Maybelline has piqued the curiosity of many a blogger out there, promising a hydrating formula with a matte finish. With the dry winter air bearing down upon us, even some of us oily to combination ladies can become prone to flaky skin and dry patches, so this launch basically came at the perfect time. It's available in 12 shades, with the most options falling in the light to medium range. While I haven't purchased this product yet, I actually was able to find a tester at Bed Bath & Beyond and gave it a swatch. At first it seemed really similar to the Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation, as they both have that thick, moussey quality when you first squeeze it out of the tube. However the Maybelline Dream Velvet actually had a much lighter, silkier texture as it blended out. The coverage seemed decent, and definitely buildable, and the finish was certainly matte.

2. Pixi Glow Peel Pads ($22)
2015 was a year of skincare for me, and products like these Pixi Glow Pads induce a somewhat questionable level of joy in me. These pads have a 20% concentration of glycolic acid, a strong chemical exfoliant, that refines the surface of the skin. While I haven't tried these yet, I get the impression that these are not for the faint of heart (or the most sensitive of skin) as I'm sure they bring a serious tingle. However, if you suffer from breakouts, clogged pores, or fine lines, a few swipes of these pads could work some serious magic. The combination of acids, vitamin E, and aloe will help to break down the dead skin and debris that lead to skin congestion, as well as promote healing and radiance. Just make sure that you always follow up any kind of acid treatment with sun protection (I'd recommend at least SPF 35), as the increased exfoliation will make you more prone to sun damage.

3. Burt's Bees Lipstick ($8.99)
I love me a good lipstick, but when I think about all of the questionable chemicals I'm ingesting whenever I swipe one on, it does make me cringe a little inside. Fortunately, natural beauty brand Burt's Bees has finally launched their own line of beautifully pigmented lipsticks to rival drugstore and high-end brands alike. There are 14 shades available (mostly your standard neutrals, berries, pinks, and reds), and they are dressed up in the most adorable honeycomb-accented packaging. The formula is 100% natural and contains Morniga and Red Rasperry Seed Oils to give your lips an extra boost of moisture. So far I've picked up two shades, Brimming Berry and Sunset Cruise, and can say that these are definitely some of the most buttery, creamy lipsticks I've tried in a while. That being said, I would recommend using a lip liner under the really bold shades, as they are more likely to slip around than a drier formula.

4. Milani Cosmetics Moisture Lock Oil Infused Lip Treatment ($8.49)
Speaking of hydration for your lips, these fruity lip oils look positively delicious. With juicy flavors like Peach Mango and Pomegranate, I feel like I'll face a difficult decision picking out which one of these I want to try. From what I can tell, even though the packaging suggests that these come in different colors (a la the YSL Volupté Tint-in-Oil), I believe they are all actually clear and just impart shine. Each version has a special blend of nutrient rich oils to address different concerns, and a yummy scent to match.

5. Makeup Geek Sparklers ($10)
Now, Makeup Geek isn't exactly a drugstore brand (you need to shop it online) but their price points are super affordable and easily comparable to what you might find at CVS or Target. Even though I don't wear glitter on the regular, as soon as I saw Marlena's release video on this product I immediately wanted to get my hands on them. The Makeup Geek Sparklers are a micro-fine glitter that share more in common with a loose pigment than their chunky cousin. There are 16 shades available, and while all of them look absolutely stunning, I think that my personal favorites are Solar Flare (a medium coppery melon) and Halo (a silvery ballet pink). Now, there has been quite a bit of controversy around this product for two big reasons. First, as these are NOT eyeshadows, a sticky base is an absolute must to get these to adhere to the skin. If you think that you can just pat these over your existing shadow, odds are you'll end up a glittery mess. Second, the product was released prior to the packaging being finished to be available for use during the holiday season, so there is no sifter to keep the product from spilling everywhere. Temptalia did an awesome job reviewing these, and I would take her recommendation to wait until the sifters are available before you pick these up. However, I do think that if they are used correctly, they're going to be a beautiful product.

6. L'Oreal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation ($16.99)
Cushion foundations are a huge trend among Asian beauty brands as per late, and it looks like drugstore brands are finally jumping on the bandwagon. L'Oreal's version is a part of their much loved Lumi line, complete with gorgeous rose gold packaging. The formula promises to luminous, buildable coverage, and is available in 12 shades. Having seen the displays, I appreciate that L'Oreal has created a much more sensible numbering system for this line, with a distinct labelling of warm, cool, and neutral shades. However, wherever I've managed to find a display, it's always been incredibly picked over, meaning that unless you plan on ordering online, this might be tricky to get your hands on.

7. Milani Amore Matte Lip Cream ($8.99)
Everyone and their mom seems to be all about the matte liquid lipsticks as-per-late, and these ones from Milani look like they're going to be entirely rave worthy. There are 10 shades available, with everything from classic neutrals, to reds, to bold pops of color. The shade Craze looks like it could even be a dupe for my beloved Stila Venenzia Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick. Whether or not it will have the same delicious, buttercream frosting-esque fragrance as Stila's I have yet to determine, but from what I've known of the Milani Color Statement Lipsticks I've got a fair amount of hope.

8. NYX Glitter Primer ($6.00)
A perfect counterpart to the Makeup Geek Sparklers I mentioned earlier, this translucent primer promises to lock loose glitter into place. Even though the prime glitter season has passed with the holidays now being over, I still love a good shimmery eye look now and again. If I ever decide to try Makeup Geek's new launch I'll be sure to snag this product first!

9. Maybelline Color Tattoo Concentrated Crayons ($6.99)
The Maybelline Color Tattoos may be one of the top 10 cult drugstore products that every beauty blogger loves and raves about. However, one of the biggest downsides to these richly pigmented cream shadows is that the pots tend to dry out super quick. Yes, they are affordable, and repurchasing a replacement isn't the worst thing in the world, still, it's annoying and wasteful to throw away a product that you've only gotten a few months of use out of. However, these new concentrated crayons may be the answer we've been looking for. There are 10 shades available, and from what I could tell they all look like they've got a metallic or glittery finish. I picked up two shades to try (while they were buy one get one 50% off) and from what I can see, these are very pigmented and relatively creamy. I think when they're brand new and still a bit pointy they feel a little hard on the eyes, but I think as they get worn down they'll become a bit more gentle. Also, much like the original Color Tattoos, these are easy to blend upon initial application, but will become pretty budge proof once they've dried down.

10. Promise Organic Nourishing Coconut Milk Body Lotion ($8.99)
I hope that this new CVS exclusive brand gets a little more attention in 2016 because it seems pretty promising (hah...pun intended). The packaging is pretty, the ingredients are quality, and the price point is very reasonable. I'm already a huge fan of the Nourishing Coconut Milk Facial Cream with Mango, and can imagine that their other face and body lotions are spot on as well. Just looking at the ingredients list for this one I can tell you that the first two items listed are aloe and shea butter, whereas other drugstore brands list water, glycerin, or mineral oil as their top components.

11. Yes to Coconuts Ultra Hydrating Melting Gel Cleanser ($9.99)
Yes to is one of my absolute favorite sources of affordable, all-natural skincare products, and it looks like they've come out with some really exciting new products for 2016. Namely, they've beefed up their Yes to Coconuts range with some amazing masks, cleansers and moisturizers to combat super dry skin. Last year I totally fell in love with the No 7 Melting Gel Cleanser, and I think that it would be awesome to try an all-natural take on that type of product. Melting cleansers are fantastic at breaking down makeup, dirt, and grime while still leaving your skin feeling baby soft. And this one will surely smell like coconuts (a huge thumbs up in my book).

Are you excited to try any of these products, or have you been lucky enough to already get your hands on some? What would you like to see an in-depth review on? I love sharing my thoughts with you guys, and it'd be great to hear about the products you're most excited for! Post a comment down below and let me know.