Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Makeup Revolution Ultra Blush Palette Review


Today's post marks another eventful happening in my ongoing quest to explore cult beauty brands. Based in London, Makeup Revolution is well known to my friends across the Atlantic for their affordable, yet quality makeup. I've read many a rave review about their eyeshadow palettes, and how they are incredible dupes for the Urban Decay Naked Palette series. Unfortunately their products are a little harder to come by over here in the states, so I'd never made much of an effort to try anything out. However, with a little nudge from a 20% off coupon and a BOGO sale at Ulta, I finally decided to push the "order" button and add a few of their products to my collection. As much as I love eyeshadow (and you all know how much I love eyeshadow), the drugstore is brimming with affordable neutral palettes, and I wasn't all that excited to try another one. Then I laid my eyes on the Makeup Revolution Blush Palettes, and my mind immediately thought a resounding YAS!


Maybe I'm biased (note, my choice in blog name) but to me, blush palettes are a thing of beauty. Just look at the majesty that is this new Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Palette or the NARS Cheek Studio Palette. And while they may both be totally splurge worthy products, not everyone has the means or the inclination to shell out that much cash. Which is exactly why I knew I needed to see what these Makeup Revolution palettes were all about. Affordable blush palettes are not something you encounter very often, so if I could find one to recommend to those of you who are makeup shopping on a budget, I couldn't pass that opportunity up.


The Makeup Revolution Blush Palettes retail for $10 each and are available in two different shade ranges. Hot Spice has a mixture of peachy pinks and rusty neutrals that are super flattering on those with light to medium complexions. Sugar & Spice is a bit more bold, with bright pinks, berries, and neutrals to compliment deeper or cooler complexions. Each palette contains 8 different pans of product, including a baked highlighter, a baked blush, and a mixture of 6 other matte and shimmer blushes.


My immediate thought when I first got these palettes in my hands was that if I didn't know this was a drugstore palette I would never guess it from the packaging. The casing is made of black plastic, however it's really thick and weighty, instead of thin and flimsy like most drugstore cosmetics. The mirror inside is huge, which is incredibly handy to have if you're traveling with this palette. And of course, the rose gold detailing is absolutely stunning. It does not come with any kind of brush or applicator, which I honestly don't miss. I would gladly take this sleek and stylish packaging over one that accommodates a throwaway tool any day.


Unfortunately, while the packaging is no indicator of a $10 price point, swatching the blushes themselves does start to give this palette away. To the touch these blushes are a bit stiff, and they kick up a fair amount of powder when you dip your brush into them. That being said, they do actually look quite beautiful on the cheeks. They also have decent lasting power (perhaps not as much as something like the Tarte Amazonian Clay Blushes) and will hold up pretty well through a normal work day. For the most part the two different versions perform the same way, although there are a few things to note with each.


Hot Spice (swatched above) has quickly become my personal favorite of the two versions. As someone with a relatively light complexion, I've found I can rock all of these colors without any of them looking harsh or overdone. The shimmery shades aren't overly chunky or glittery, and the matte shades blend out beautifully. The only two shades I'm not hugely impressed with are the baked blush and baked highlighter. These were very stiff and I found it difficult to pick up very much product on my brush. They are also much more metallic and sparkley in finish. Ultimately I would probably use the baked blush as more of a blush topper if I wanted to amp up the glow factor, since I don't think it has enough oomph on its own. The highlight works fine enough, although I'm curious to see how it would perform wet.


Sugar & Spice has some seriously beautiful colors that I think would look especially gorgeous on those with medium to deep complexions. While they are easily blendable, they are also VERY pigmented, so you'll definitely want to make sure you tap off your brush before you put it to your cheeks. If you're a fair skinned girl and can't help but make googley eyes at these gorgeous pinks and berries, I totally am right there with you. It's not to say that you can't use this palette, I would just make sure you use a very light hand so as not to overdo it. Also, I have the same issues with the baked blush and baked highlight in this palette as I did with the other one, and would make the same recommendations.

My final verdict? For $10 I think these blush palettes are pretty darn incredible. Both versions have really lovely shade ranges, and I appreciate that both deep and light complexions have something to reach for. If Makeup Revolution is ever to release another one of these palettes I think it would be great to see a more cool toned palette that would flatter pale complexions. Maybe something with a pretty lavender shade?

Either way, if you're a blush junkie like me and are looking for a more affordable way to get some variety into your makeup collection, I highly recommend checking these out! And don't forget, as a drugstore brand you can always use your $3.50 off $10 Ulta coupon towards this palette, or snag both as part of a BOGO sale like I did.

Have you tried Makeup Revolution products before? What would you recommend?