Sunday, May 15, 2016

Orange Crush


As a warning, this post may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I seriously CANNOT get enough of orange colored lips. There's something so fierce and energetic about a firey pout that it basically gives me an instant boost of self confidence every time I rock one. Plus, orange just screams summertime. Spicy lips, bronzed skin, beachy waves...what's not to love?

Today I wanted to share five of my favorite lip products for channelling my inner sexy salsa dancer. If orange seems way outside your comfort zone, I challenge you to take the plunge and give it a try! It's an extremely flattering color on light and deep skintones alike, but much like its oh-so-basic cousin pink, it's all a matter of finding a shade that works right for you.


One thing I can say I'm really pleased about is that I was able to find gorgeous orange lip products on both ends of the price spectrum. As you're about to find out, there are some beautiful options at the drugstore as well as in the aisle of Sephora. I'm sure there are many other lovely orange lippies out there I have yet to get my hands on. If you have any particular recommendations I would love to hear about them!


One of the newest additions to my makeup collection is the Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in Matte Luxe ($5.99). For the price, Milani hands down makes some of the best lip products out there. This matte formula is incredibly pigmented and long wearing, while still being smooth and easy to apply. It also smells like vanilla cupcakes, which is always a plus in my book. This particular shade leans more towards a true orange than an orange-red, making it a little more daring than some of the other options I'm sharing.

My first foray into the world of orange lips was with the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Iberico ($26). This shade was part of a Limited Edition collection NARS released for the holidays in 2014, and I always secretly hoped they would add it to their permanent collection. Alas, so far it doesn't look like there is anything remotely equivalent in the existing Velvet Matte Lip range, which is a shame because it's one of my absolute favorite matte lip formulas. The Audacious Lipstick in Tangerine, however, looks like an amazing orange-y alternative. Perhaps I'll have to make a trip out to Sephora to swatch it!


When Maybelline first launched the Colorblur range I immediately went on a hunt to track them down. I don't understand why they haven't gotten more hype, because as far as affordable matte lip crayons go, these are awesome. And of course, when I saw that there was an orange shade in the line, my immediate thought was that I needed to see if it was a dupe for my beloved (and no longer available) NARS Iberico pencil. The Maybelline Colorblur in Orange Ya Glad ($8.99) was not the dupe that I was looking for, but a standout product nevertheless. It's deeper and more red-toned than the rest of these lipsticks, making it friendlier to those who want to dip their toes in the orange lip waters. The formula is really silky, smooth, and comfortable, and the pigmentation is strong and even. Plus, the slim design makes it really easy to apply it with precision.


If you really want to make a statement, Julep It's Whipped Matte Lip Mousse in Beso ($20) is where it's at. The It's Whipped formula is a bit on the thin side, making it a bit trickier to work with. But if you have patience, the end result is beautiful. Beso is described as a "spicy orange" and spicy it is indeed. If you're going out for the evening and want an alternative to a traditional red lip, this would be an excellent option.


This last product is a little bit of a cheaty one, but I had to include it! The Milani Moisture Lock Peach Seed Oil Infused Lip Treatment ($8.49) looks orange in the tube, but is actually completely clear on your lips. With all these matte formulas, your lips may need an extra boost of hydration the next day, and this treatment is the perfect thing to reach for. Made with a blend of nourishing oils, it'll help to repair and add shine. And it smells as delicious as the name suggests!


From Left to Right: NARS Iberico, Maybelline Orange Ya Glad, Milani Matte Luxe, Julep Beso

And there you have it! Orange lips may be a little non-traditional, but you never know what might look amazing on you until you try it. A younger me would have probably seen these lipsticks and thought "no way", but now they are some of my absolute favorites. What are your thoughts on orange lips? Would you rock any of these shades? Have any recommendations for things I should try next? Let me know in the comments below!