Sunday, October 11, 2015

Treat Yourself to All Natural Luxury With Tokyo Factory


I've been having a bit of a moment lately with all natural beauty products. Crafted with pure, simple, powerful ingredients and no artificial nastiness, green beauty is kind of a no-brainer. Now, I haven't made the transition to being 100% green, but when given the option I definitely find myself leaning towards the natural or organic option. One of my latest all-natural beauty discoveries is Tokyo Factory. This LA-based company handcrafts gorgeous, artisan soaps, skincare, and candles that are not only all-natural, but also vegan and cruelty-free.

I was clued into this amazing brand by Oly Shamrik over at TLV Birdie Blog, which has quickly become my go-to source for green beauty reviews. Oly's aesthetic is blow-your-mind gorgeous, and her posts are informative and lovely to read. If you've got a spare minute I highly recommend heading over to her site and taking a look around, although you may find it easy to totally get sucked in and lose track of time! TLV Birdie also hosts a number of really incredible giveaways, which is also how this post came to be. I wouldn't call myself a particularly lucky person, so when I found out that I was the winner of this amazing bundle of Tokyo Factory goodies I was completely shocked and overjoyed. After having a good month or so to test and play with everything I'm really excited to share my thoughts with you all.


So I have to start out by saying that Tokyo Factory definitely gets an A+ for presentation. When my prize arrived it was so beautifully wrapped I didn't want to open it! However, the delicate scent of lavender wafting from inside the box was enticing enough to get me to eventually pull the ribbon. The products inside were equally lovely to look at. I think Tokyo Factory's clean, simple aesthetic speaks perfectly to the nature of the products that they make. Even though appearances aren't everything, I really appreciate it when a brand puts effort into the details. Not only does it show that they take pride in what they make, but it also says that they care about their customers and their experience of using them.


As you can see, I got sent a really great variety of products to use! There's a luxurious whipped body cream, a clay-infused soap for face and body, two lovely beauty oils, and even a balm for your lips. In addition to being beautiful, every formula is also completely natural, vegan, and cruelty-free! Can't get much better than that, am I right? Let's take a closer look at each of these beauts.


I can't remember the last time I used a bar of soap, so I was actually really excited to try this Purifying Face & Body Bar ($12). Often times I've found bar soap to be incredibly drying, or to leave a filmy residue behind on my skin, so I've mostly stayed away from them. However, this bar of soap is absolutely divine. With a base of Shea Butter and Coconut Oil it's incredibly moisturizing and doesn't leave your skin feeling stripped or tight. Rose Clay and Rosemary extract help to remove impurities and fight off bad bacteria, while Lavender and Orange oils will uplift and soothe with every use. I truly was impressed by how clean and soft my skin felt after using this, although I suppose it makes sense when you leave out harsh solvents and chemicals! I also love the simplicity of a product that you can use to clean yourself from head to toe. If you're someone who doesn't want to fuss a lot with your morning routine and use 15 different products in the shower, this would be right up your alley. I think I would love to try the Detoxifying Face & Body Bar next for those times when my skin is extra cranky. It has charcoal to deep cleanse and lemongrass (you all know how I feel about lemons) to naturally fight off bacteria.

This might possibly be the biggest tub of lip balm I have ever come across in my life! With a full ounce of product, you definitely get your money's worth. This Rose Lip Treatment ($12) is formulated with 100% natural ingredients to moisturize and nourish the delicate skin on your lips. I've always loved rose for it's scent, but apparently rose extract is also high in antioxidants and has regenerative properties that helps your skin to stay fresh and youthful. Who knew? Texture-wise this is very much your standard balm. It's firm to the touch, which I wasn't expecting from something in a pot, and feels very light and slightly oily on the lips. It does absorb pretty quickly and is quite hydrating, but I would have preferred it to have a thicker, more luxurious texture. I also think this product would suit itself well to more traditional lip balm packaging in a twist-up tube. It'd be way more friendly to take on-the-go, and you wouldn't have to worry about contaminating it with your fingers. But that's just me being picky! I love the rose scent, and I certainly will enjoy using this on the regular. And if you aren't a huge fan of rose scented products, never fear! They make sumptuous looking Coconut Lip Treatment as well.

Speaking of roses, this Rose Shea Butter Cream ($18) is like nothing else I've tried before. It's got a lovely, whipped texture that just melts into your skin with use. Since it's got a high concentration of Shea Butter (over 40%) it does take a little bit of time to skin into the skin, but ultimately leaves you feeling incredibly soft. The fragrance is lovely, and while the rose is definitely prominent, its not that off-putting, artificial rose scent that I think a lot of people have come to expect. Perhaps its the combination of Rose and Rose Geranium oil, but my nose registers an almost spearmint-y undertone in its scent. The smell also lingers for a long time, and I'll randomly catch whiffs of myself throughout the day. Compared to other body butters, this tub seems relatively small (you get 2 oz of product), however, its concentrated enough that a little bit goes a long way.


As someone with oily skin, you'd think that face oils might be a little terrifying to me. On the contrary! I think they're an excellent source of hydration that ultimately counteracts your skin's natural tendency to overproduce sebum. Aka, putting oils on your face makes less oily over time. I've been absolutely loving the Revitalizing Face Oil ($28). It contains a powerful blend of Jojoba, Rosehip and Sea Buckthorn oils and Vitamin E, making it excellent for fighting the signs of aging. Rosehip Oil is rich in Vitamin A, which is known to aid in the process of cell rejuvenation, and Sea Buckthorn Oil is rich in Vitamins C and E, which heal and reduce inflammation. While I wouldn't call my skin mature yet, 30 is just around the corner and I think it doesn't hurt to take extra steps to keep my skin looking glowy and youthful. I like to warm up a few drops between my hands and massage it into my face each night after I cleanse.

The All Purpose Beauty Oil ($28) is an awesome beauty multi-tasker. It's got a very simple ingredients list, containing only Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E, making it safe for use on your face, body, nails, and even in your hair! So whether or not you want to soothe dry cuticles, smooth down flyaways, or sheer out your foundation a little bit, this oil can pretty much do it all. I also really like that it contains a blend of oils, rather than just straight up Argan oil, as I find Argan oil on its own can be a little bit heavy.

So, if you also appreciate healthier alternatives to your beauty products, I would definitely recommend paying the Tokyo Factory website a visit! I've currently got my eye on their bath soaks, which both look incredible, and their candles as well. Also, they've got some really amazing customizable sets that I think would be perfect for the upcoming holiday season! The Deluxe Spa one especially is something I could see going on my Christmas Wish List.

What Tokyo Factory product would you be most excited to try?