Sunday, November 15, 2015

Skincare Week Starts Today!


Well hello there friend! I hope your Sunday is off to a lovely start. For some reason my brain was in denial about the fact that it was still the weekend this morning. Why I was convinced it was Monday I have no idea, but fortunately it is not (although I seriously just had to look at the calendar again for reassurance). The fact that it is indeed Sunday also means that it's the start of Skincare Week here on my blog! As much as I love makeup (and oh...oh I do), I've gotten really into skincare in the past year and have been making a huge effort to try and find (and stick to) a regime that works for me.

If you've been following me for a while, you've probably heard me discuss my struggles with acne in one post or another. As soon as I hit puberty, my skin went decidedly nutso. Not only did my face transform into an oil producing machine, but I also suffered from pretty severe breakouts. Fortunately my acne was contained to my face, and I've never suffered from body acne (I'd actually say that the rest of my skin is decidedly dry). Still, having a face full of pimples definitely caused me a lot of self-consciousness during my teenage years. I became obsessed with finding a miracle fix that would rid my skin of breakouts forever. Honestly I can't even tell you how many creams, lotions, cleansers, and prescriptions I tried in the 10 year period between being 13 and 23, nor how much money I spent. And all I had to show at the end of it was frustration.

When it comes to skincare, I've learned one important thing. You can't change your genetics. My skin is never going to be completely flawless, no matter what I put on top of it. That being said, having a great skincare regimen can help you transform your skin into the best that it can be. For me the best my skin can ever be may never look like someone else, and that is okay. As I've gotten older I think I've accepted my large pores, my occasional bumps, my birthmarks and moles. Some people are blessed and born with skin that stays essentially perfect as they grow up. I am not one of those people. So I do the best I can to make my skin look and feel the best that it can, and leave it at that.

So what does making my skin look and feel its best come down to in practicality? I'm glad you've asked! All week long I'm going to be sharing my favorite skincare products, as well as some tips and tricks I've learned along the way for putting your best face forward. Every day will address a new topic, from what all the hype around facial oils is about, to cleansers that will totally change how you think about washing your face, to the best masks and peels to address your current skincare woes. Want to share your own skincare story? Have a product recommendation to share? All this week use the hashtag #lbbskincareweek to get the conversation going!

I'm seriously excited for all I've got to share with you guys this week, and I really hope you'll be able to take something helpful away from one of my posts. To tide you over until tomorrow, here's an oldie but goodie to take a look at - my favorite blemish spot treatments.

What is your biggest skincare concern?