Sunday, November 13, 2016

Makeup Revolution Iconic Nudes Brush Collection


Friends, let's take a moment for the appreciation of pretty.

I have been head-over-heels in love with this new Limited Edition brush set from Makeup Revolution since the moment I laid eyes on it. And really, how could I not? The combination of cream, pink, and rose gold speaks to my girlie-girl heart. Honestly, the only thing that's better than a beautiful set of makeup brushes is a beautiful set of makeup brushes that wont cost me an arm and a leg, and this one meets both qualifications.

Now, if you've been reading my blog for any length of time you're already well aware that my love for Makeup Revolution is strong. As far as affordable cosmetics go, they're consistently on point in terms of both packaging and quality, and have become one of my top recommendations for anyone shopping on a budget. Unfortunately Makeup Revolution originated over in the UK, and only a limited selection of their line is available at Ulta stores here in the states. While I can't complain that I can at least get my hands on some of their products, the one thing I've been dying to try are their brushes. They've got some incredible looking dupes for the Artis and Real Techniques Bold Metals brushes that are constantly calling my name.

I don't know what my problem is with paying for shipping, but it kind of kills me to tack on an extra $15 or $20 in fees to a beauty order. Alas, its almost a given when ordering internationally, which means that I figured I'd have to add shopping MR brushes to my London bucket list. But then, a miracle happened! One of my lovely beauty enthusiast friends studying abroad overseas was kind enough to scope out this set and send it my way! Seriously guys, I was overjoyed. It was even prettier than some of the permanent collection sets I had my eye on. Let tell you more about it!


The Makeup Revolution Iconic Nudes Brush Collection is a Limited Edition holiday set containing 5 face brushes, 4 eye brushes, and a blending sponge. The set retails for £30 but appears to be on sale at Superdrug for £20 right now (that's $25.20 for my American friends). Considering that most luxury brush sets retail for double or triple the price of this one, you really are getting your money's worth.

All of the brushes are made with synthetic hair, which not only means that they're cruelty-free, but also that they should be easy to wash and maintain. Having used this set a few times now I can speak to how soft the bristles are, and I have not noticed any shedding or signs of poor quality. The handles do feel a little lightweight, but the overall construction seems solid. All in all, if you took the names off these brushes I would probably never have guessed they were from a drugstore brand.

Really what does me in about this set is the design. These brushes are just so stinkin' pretty I want to stare at them all day. The rose gold ferrules and pink ombre bristles are incredibly on trend, and actually remind me a lot of the Zoeva Rose Golden Luxury Brush Set (which, while absolutely stunning, is about 3 times the cost of the Makeup Revolution).

As pretty as they are, if you want brushes to be more than just a decoration for your vanity, they also have to be functional. So let's take a look at what types of brushes you're actually getting.


Let's start out with all of the tools for face. First up is the Pro HD Powder Brush, which is a large, domed, fluffy brush that is great for applying setting powder or gently bronzing all over the face. Next is the Pro HD Contour Brush, which is a smaller angled brush that is perfect for applying blush, or for contouring your cheeks. Then you get the Pro HD Flat Blending Brush, which would work wonderfully with a number of liquid and cream products. It'd be perfect for blending in blush, foundation, or concealer. The one face brush I'm less of a fan of is the Pro HD Prime & Correct Brush, mostly because I don't reach for this style of brush that often. Its flat shape is designed for to place product in a precise area (like a concealer or corrector) and isn't so great at blending. Last, you also get a Blending Sponge, which is more like the Beauty Blending in shape than in texture. This sponge is very dense and smooth, and a lot less bouncy than its high end cousin. It certainly gets the job done well enough, but the texture is not my absolute favorite. Also, the cream color is going to be a bit of a pain to clean!


Then you also get five precision and eye brushes. Going from left to right in the picture above, you're getting a Pro HD Angled Eyebrow Brush, which really could be used both for brows and eyes. I love these types of brushes for drawing on a winged liner from a gel pot! Next is the Pro HD Round Eyeshadow Brush, which is small enough to work with plenty of precision, but soft and round enough to blend things out in the crease beautifully. I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of this one! You also get the Pro HD Conceal Brush, which is a baby version of the Prime & Correct Brush. As I mentioned before, these brushes aren't my favorite for applying product to the face. However, this smaller version would be excellent for packing pigments and glitters onto your eyelids! No makeup brush set is complete without something similar to the Pro HD Flat Eyeshadow Brush. This is your classic shape for applying eyeshadow anywhere on the lid. It's flat enough to pack on product, but still soft and fluffy enough to blend. And last you've got the Pro HD Fine Eyeshadow Brush. This is another great multitasker. You could use it with eyeliner, but also as a lip brush! It'll basically come in handy anywhere you need to do detail work.


Long story short I think this is an absolutely beautiful brush set, and you really can't beat it for the price! If you live in the UK I would snatch this up before it disappears forever (especially at the sale price). If you've tried any other brushes from Makeup Revolution I would love to hear your thoughts! Maybe someday Ulta will get on the bandwagon and start offering them over here in the states.

What's your favorite makeup brush brand?