Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Confessions of a Beauty Blogger Tag


All right, people. It's about to get real.

I've somehow managed to go all this time without ever doing one of these "tag" posts. I see them all over the place, and always think how much fun they'd be, but somehow fail miserably at actually taking the initiative. Thankfully, Sammi over at College Beauty Buff I've been put to the challenge!


1. When did you start your blog? 
I started blogging in June of 2013. I can't believe it's almost been two years!

2. Why did you start a blog? 
For literally as long as I can remember I've had an interest in all things beauty and fashion related. I would spend hours drawing pictures, reading books, imagining and learning and creating as much as I could about styling hair and doing makeup. I think my logical side always felt that the beauty industry was something too impractical to pursue for a career, but deep down I never lost that passion for it. When I was in college in got involved in competitive ballroom dancing, which gave me plenty of opportunity to play around with doing hair and makeup for myself and fellow competitors. Not only did I get to put my skills to use, but I also built up some confidence that I had an opinion other people could trust, and that I could act as a resource for other girls who were a little less comfortable putting on their eyeshadow. Eventually I decided that I wanted to take things a step further and create a space where I could reach out to even more people to share my passion and knowledge.

3. When did you start becoming serious about starting a blog? 
I actually had had a few other failed attempts at blogging in the years before Little Blushing Birdie was born. I unfocused as to what I wanted to blog about, and I also didn't own a camera that would take decent pictures. Then my parents helped me purchase a DSLR as my birthday present and I decided to get committed. After a month or two I set up all my social media accounts and started to immerse myself in the beauty blogger community. I would say that was the point where I really felt like it was a serious hobby of ine.
 
4. How many hours a week do you spend planning/writing/uploading posts? 
A lot. Sometimes it feels like I have a second job on top of my normal 40 hour-a-weeker. I can easily spend 8-10 hours over the weekend taking and editing photographs and setting up my posts for the week. Weeknights are trickier. Some nights I have no time to blog, other nights I'll spend an hour or two. I also put aside time for promoting on social media, researching new products, and networking with other bloggers. In the end I would say I could easily spend 15-20 hours a week on blog related activities.

5. What has been your biggest challenge about blogging? 
Consistency. I work a really draining 8 to 5 job with a 40 minute commute each way, and it's hard to stay motivated sometimes to come home from work and...well...do more work. Blogging is something I enjoy immensely, but it can be really time consuming, and trying to balance it with work, my social life and my relationship can sometimes get tricky. Every once in a while I get burned out and take a break for a few weeks. But inevitably I miss it and can't stay away.

6. When is it easiest for you to write your posts? 
Somehow in adulthood I became a morning person. I find that I'm most productive on Saturday and Sunday when I first wake up. I make myself a cup of coffee, snuggle up in front of my computer and go to town.

7. What makes writing posts comfortable for you? 
Just speaking about something you find interesting and can get excited about is comfortable in and of itself. Usually I'll already have taken and edited the pictures, so then I just need to sit down and write out my thoughts.

8. Where do you see your blog in one year? 
I would love to have built a bigger and more involved readership a year from now. There are so many amazing people out there who I want to build connections with! I'd also love to see that my blog has developed a more regular rhythm and its own unique flair. I've always got these great ideas for ongoing post topics. I just need to be better about making them a more regular thing.

9. What is the most rewarding thing to you about blogging?
By far its knowing that in some small way you're able to influence the lives of others in a positive way. When people post comments in response to a post I wrote I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I get so excited to hear people's feedback.

10. What’s your worst makeup/hair habit? 
Ugh, this is SUCH a no no. But sometimes I fall asleep without taking my makeup off. I KNOW. I AM THE WORST. I've become much, much better about it. I'm basically a useless human being when I'm tired, so if I have a particularly late night I feel like I'm barely even able to make it up to bed. Luckily I have a boyfriend who's really good about the whole consistent night time routine thing, and he won't let me get away with being lazy.

11. What’s one quote you wish the world would live by? 
"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." Sometimes those small things can eventually become great things, too. Don't let yourself succumb to the pressure of feeling like you need to single-handedly change the world. Just be yourself, and do the things you love with passion. No matter where it takes you, or how big or small your impact may seem to be, you'll be living a life you won't regret.

12. How long do you spend getting ready everyday? 
From shower to door I can be ready in 20 minutes, although if I have the time to spare and I want to enjoy the process I can easily spend an hour.

13. What your favorite post on your blog?
This is a tough one! I've been pretty proud of quite a few posts I've written. I think my most recent favorite is the post I wrote about how I have my beauty products organized. I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with those storage ideas in the first place, and I was really happy with how the post came out!


14. Who is a beauty blogger that you think deserve more subscribers that they have?
I just recently discovered a chic minute, and I think Greta deserves way more attention! Her posts are really down to earth and engaging. Check her out!

15. What’s one thing you’re excited about in the coming year? 
I'm not sure if I have something specific. I don't have any big moments or vacations or anything planned yet for 2015. I do, however, have a generally positive outlook on the year ahead, and am looking forward to blogging better, reading more books, and having more adventures with my friends.

16. What has been your favorite blogging moment? 
I think I'd have to say being named the Birchblogger of the Month for August 2014 by Birchbox. Birchbox has been a HUGE influence in writing my blog, from helping me to discover new products, to teaching me some new tricks, to keeping me inspired to write about the beauty world. Getting that recognition felt so amazing!

17. How long does it take to prep for a post?  
It's hard to say exactly. Usually I'm brainstorming and jotting down ideas and notes throughout the week. When I sit down to actually create content it can take me anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to photograph, another 20 minutes to an hour to edit said photographs, and then another hour plus to write.

18. Are you wearing jeans/ skirt right now or are you wearing pajama bottoms? 
Right now I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, although I spent the better part of yesterday in pajamas!



I've got to say, that was actually a lot of fun to write! And now I challenge...
Of course, I encourage everyone to participate who wants to! Please write me a comment and let me know if you do. I'd love to hear your blogging story.