Monday, February 16, 2015

What's New at the Drugstore: Milani Fierce Foil Eyeshines


New makeup launches are always so much fun to check out. After having seen a few swatches and hearing a little about these new quads from Milani I found myself saving up my CVS Extrabucks to make a purchase.


The Milani Fierce Foil Eyeshines are coordinated quads of ultra shimmery eye "glosses". There are currently four different color variations, each named after one of Italy's most beloved cities, and they retail for around $10. I picked up two of these quads to try - Milan (warm neutral colors), and Rome (a variety of purple hues).

One of the reasons I was so intrigued to try these is that the formula seems to be something quite different from your usual cream eyeshadow. The texture is a bit weird. It's got a really bouncy, almost mousse-like quality that's very soft and almost slippery to the touch. However, it's also got a sort of chunky, particulate thing going on as well. The pigmentation of each color is very intense, but the finish isn't necessarily smooth. In the lighter colors especially there seem to be bits of super metallic foil that stick to the lid and don't blend out. The end result doesn't necessarily look bad, just different. And sparkly.

All the way sparkly.


The Milan quad offers a nice balance of easy to wear neutral colors, with a high intensity metallic finish. The deep bronze color is probably the most creamy and consistent finish wise. The soft-rose gold shade seemed to be the most chunky, as you can see from the swatch.


The Rome quad, on the other hand, is a little more in your face with a gorgeous selection of lavender, periwinkle, and violet hues. I'm such a sucker for purple that I really couldn't resist, although I feel like I'd be more likely to use these shades sparingly and in combination with other more subtle products.

Basically, if you're looking to add some serious sparkly drama to your look, these will definitely deliver. Unfortunately they don't really "set" and will stay sort of wet and smudgy on the lid. On their own I don't think they crease or move around a lot, but if you mistakenly happen to, say, get an itch near your eye and touch it, beware the impending glittery mess. I also noticed a weird amount of fall out from these, which I wasn't expecting from a non-powder formula. As the day goes on I just feel like I start notice glitter appearing EVERYWHERE (and let's not even talk about cleaning myself up post swatching and photographing for this post). Even though I'm usually not a fan of the cheap-o sponge tip applicators that come in drugstore eye palettes, I actually think they might be the best (and least messy) way of putting them on.

In the end I'm sort of on the fence as to whether or not I like these. I think the shade selections themselves are absolutely gorgeous, and in moderation I think adding a punch of shimmer can be really pretty on the eyes. I just feel like doing an entire eye look with these quads alone would be kind of overkill, not to mention a glittery mess. I think I'll have to experiment with them more and see if I can come up with a look incorporating them that works for me. I'm sure that when I do, you'll be seeing evidence either here or on Instagram!