Saturday, August 15, 2015

Birdie Bites - Blackberry Lime Spritzer


With August in full swing it's by far the hottest part of the year here in Connecticut. Even though I can retreat into the AC if the temperatures swell above 90 degrees, I also love to cool off with a refreshing drink. While I love myself a good cocktail, alcohol can be really dehydrating, which is not exactly helpful in super sweaty weather. That's why I chose to leave it out of this particular recipe (although it would be very easy to turn this into a true cocktail if that suited your fancy). With fresh, summery ingredients and a little bit of bubbly goodness, this Blackberry Lime Spritzer is both refined and delicious.

When it comes to mixing drinks I am all about using fresh, natural ingredients. Premade mixes are laden with artificial flavors, dyes, and high fructose corn syrup, none of which are things your body needs. After picking some fresh blackberries over at my parents' house I was feeling inspired to concoct a summery drink recipe that I could feel good about sipping outside in the summer sun. I thought the pairing of zesty lime with the ripe, juicy berries would make for an absolutely delicious combination.


What you need:

  • Fresh blackberries (I used about 5 or 6 per drink)
  • A lime
  • 1-2 tsp of the sweetener of your choice
  • Ice
  • Club soda, seltzer, sparkling water, or some other bubbly beverage of your choosing
Place your blackberries at the bottom of a tall glass. Add in your sweetner and muddle using either a long spoon or a swizzle stick, making sure that your sweetner (especially if you are using some kind of sugar) becomes completely dissolved. Add the juice of half a lime. Fill your glass with ice cubes, then top with your bubbly beverage. Stir and enjoy!



How easy is that?  If you aren't a fan of blackberries or don't have them easily accessible to you, you could easily follow this same strategy with other fruits to create a drink you'll personally find delicious. Maybe strawberry pomegranate sounds good to you. Or watermelon and mint. The possibilities are endless, especially at this time of year where fruit is abundant. No matter what combination you come up with, I think you'll find making your own spritzer is incredibly simple and a lot of fun. Not to mention the fact that they're oh-so-pretty to look at and feel quite fancy to drink! So whether you want to impress your friends at your next summer cookout, or just feel like treating yourself at the end of a long day, keep this recipe in mind! If you create your own summer spritzer I'd love to hear about how it turned out. Post a comment and let me know, or snap a pic and share it with me using the hashtag #birdiebites.

What's your favorite thing to drink in the summertime?