Saturday, September 19, 2015

Cozy As Can Be: The David's Tea Fall 2015 Collection


When I think about the seasons, I'm definitely a summer baby. I love the heat, the long, sunny days, taking trips to the beach, eating ice cream. However, I'll also be the first to admit that there's nothing quite like fall in New England. The changing leaves, the cool, crisp weather, pumpkin flavored everything. And as much as I hate being cold, it also means that I can snuggle up under a big blanket with a delicious cup of tea. Now, I drink tea pretty much year round, but the flavors of fall are quite possibly my favorite. From sweet and spicy, to rich and nutty, everything about them just screams cozy. Which perhaps was the inspiration behind the David's Tea Fall Collection ($25). This set contains 5 of their 8 Limited Edition fall teas and is wrapped up in a package so adorable it's almost impossible not to want to take it home.


I'm still relatively new to the DavidsTea brand, but from what I've experienced so far I really, really like them. They have a creative assortment of tea blends in insanely delicious flavors, their aesthetic is the perfect balance of cheery and chic, and their pricing is reasonable for the quality of what you get. When I saw this gift set in their store I was really impressed by both how amazing all of the individual teas sounded, and the $25 price point. Many loose leaf tea gift sets I've come across retail for $40+, which is kind of a lot to invest (especially when you aren't sure whether or not you'll love everything inside). With this set, however, you get 5 different blends to try, with enough tea to make about 5 cups of each. That works out to about a $1 a cup, which is way less than a daily trip to Dunkin'. Also, when you calculate out the value per oz of everything you get in this set, it comes out to almost exactly $25, so you really aren't wasting any money by purchasing these teas in a gift set versus buying a full tin.

Each set also comes with a box of 20 filter bags, which I think is a really great touch. Not everyone owns something to strain loose leaf tea, which makes this set friendly to tea connoisseurs and newbies alike. Plus, filter bags are way more practical for places like drinking your tea at the office or on the go, where you may not want to have to fiddle with a strainer or have extra things to clean up.


And then there was the tea itself.

I sort of expected these teas to be good based on their descriptions, but they seriously blew my expectations out of the water. They all pack a serious punch of flavor, and are so, so tasty. Not convinced yet? Here are my first impressions on each of the blends.

Top Row (From Left to Right): Pumpkin Chai, Honeycrisp Apple, Peanut Butter Cup
Bottom Row (From Left to Right): Nutty By Nature, Cranberry Orange Muffin

Pumpkin Chai (Black Tea) - $8.50 per 2 oz
This Autumn treat has it all. Cinnamon and cloves, plus the sweetness of caramel and pumpkin candy.

When I think of all that is fall, it could basically be summed up in this tea. Imagine a Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin candle reinvented into something you could drink. It's SO good. Even without sugar you definitely get quite a bit of sweetness from the caramel, and the spiciness of the cinnamon and cloves adds depth without being overpowering. I've tried many a pumpkin tea before, but this might just be my new favorite!

Honeycrisp Apple (Green Tea) - $9.50 per 2 oz
Bring a taste of the orchard home with this juicy, fruit-packed green tea. Delicately sweet and lightly floral, its's just like biting into a fresh, crisp apple. Oh honey!

If I didn't know that this was green tea, I never would have guessed it! It's deliciously bright and fruity, and has a nice balance of tartness and sweetness that is oh-so-delicious. The apple flavor is spot on, and it's got a pretty pink color to boot!

Peanut Butter Cup (Fruit Infusion) - $8.50 per 2 oz
When it comes to satisfying snacks, you can't beat a peanut butter cup. And this decadent blend of almonds and chocolate tastes just like the real thing.

I honestly am still marveling at this tea. It smells EXACTLY like a Butterfinger. HOW DID THEY DO THAT?! I've been trying to avoid peanuts because of a possible allergy, and this blend somehow magically captures their essence without an actual peanut ever being involved. The taste on this tea is slightly more fruity and mellow than an actual candy bar, but it's still pretty legit. I promise you've never tried a tea quite like this before!

Nutty By Nature (Maté) - $9.50 per 2 oz
Afternoon doldrums got you down? This nutty maté blend packs a serious punch. With almonds, apricot and green yerba maté, it's satisfying on every level.

This was probably my least favorite blend of the five. It's got a very earthy and almost bitter flavor to it that's not quite as tasty to me as the others. I'll have to play around with blending this with other teas to suit me better. I know maté is great as a coffee substitute thanks to its high caffeine levels, so hopefully I'll find a combination that works for me.

Cranberry Orange Muffin (Herbal Infusion) - $9.50 per 2 oz
Start your day off right with this comforting blend of cranberries, orange, and cinnamon. It's got all the taste of a freshly baked muffin - at next to no calories.

Another one that tastes exactly like you'd expect. Unlike some fruit teas that can be very tart and mouth-puckery, this is as smooth as can be. You definitely get strong flavors of cranberry and orange, but it's rounded out well with the cinnamon spice. This tea has almost got a creamy flavor to it that is very much reminiscent of baked goods. Nom!

I honestly couldn't recommend this set enough! With the exception of the Maté, all of the blends are relatively sweet and taste delicious all on their own. I think David's Tea did a perfect job of capturing the flavors of fall, and it's seriously hard to pick a favorite! I'm thinking the Pumpkin Chai might be a must-have staple for the season, but that Peanut Butter Cup tea was out of this world. If you have a chance to try any of these Limited Edition tea flavors I'd love to hear what you think. Drop me a comment and let me know!

Are you a tea lover? What's your current favorite blend?