Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Score This Deal: Becca Create Your Own Light Set


Friends, I've discovered another seriously amazing makeup steal that you might want to jump on ASAP! As with most of my beauty finds, this was another thing I totally stumbled across by happenstance (thank you Facebook advertising) and couldn't believe what was on the screen in front of me. The BECCA Cosmetics Create Your Own Light Set is a Beautylish exclusive retailing for $69 and (yes you're hearing me correctly) contains FOUR full-sized products and one travel-sized product. Say WHAT? If you've ever shopped for BECCA Products before, you'll know that the average retail price of most of their primers, blushes, and highlighters is more than $30. Needless to say, this set is a GREAT deal.


The Create Your Own Light Set captures the essence of what BECCA Cosmetics stands for - makeup that gives you a youthful, naturally radiant look. Lightweight textures, luminous finishes, and soft colors are meant to help you enhance your natural beauty instead of cover it up. I've been a huge fan of the brand for many years now, and have owned many of their products along the way. Being so well acquainted with BECCA, I was extra impressed by the selection they chose to include in this set.

As I mentioned before, you get four full-sized and one travel-sized product for $69. You might expect with a deal this good BECCA might be trying to clean house and move some less popular product. However, this set is packed with best-selling power houses in gorgeous shades from their permanent collection. To break it down exactly, each set contains a full-sized Backlight Priming Filter, a full-sized Luminous Blush in the shade Snapdragon, a full-sized Beach Tint in the shade Fig, a full-sized Shimmering Skin Perfector Slimlight in the shade Champagne Pop, and a travel-sized version of the Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid in Opal. If you were to purchase all of these products individually the total retail value would be $144, meaning that you're getting a discount of over 50%! Just the Backlight Priming Filter alone is worth more than half of what you're paying for this set, so you are most definitely getting your money's worth.

On a related sidenote, this was my first experience ordering from Beautylish, and I have to say I was really quite impressed with their service from every standpoint. Their website is easy to navigate and has a ton of helpful information. My order shipped free and SO ridiculously fast. Legit, I placed my order on a Saturday and had it by Monday. My order came really beautifully wrapped in tissue paper (not just thrown in a cardboard box) and had a little note to thank me for ordering. I also got a follow up email AND text message from the company asking if I had any questions or if there was any problems with my order. It's always attention to detail and putting in the extra effort that impresses me, so I really appreciated how thoughtful they were as a retailer from start to finish. If you've never checked out the Beautylish site before I'd highly recommend it. They've got a really great selection of unique high-end brands that you won't find in the aisles of Sephora and Ulta.


So back to the products at hand! Let's chat a little bit more about each of the things you'll be getting in this set. First up is the Backlight Priming Filter. If you frequent the YouTube beauty community, you'll probably have seen this primer make more than one appearance in a makeup tutorial. Applied under your foundation and concealer, it imparts a beautiful radiant glow to the skin. This one seems to be a favorite among people with dull, dry skin, as it not only helps their foundation to glide on more smoothly, but it also makes them look more luminous and bright. As I mentioned before you get the full sized version of this primer, which contains 1 fl oz of product and retails for $38.


It's been a long time since I've owned a Becca Beach Tint, so I was really pleased to bring one (this time in a new shade) back into my collection. These creamy lip and cheek tints impart a beautiful wash of color that's perfect for those no-makeup-makeup days. Also it smells super fruity in delicious. In this set you get the shade Fig, which is a sort of dusty rose nude. I think it'll be very flattering on those with paler complexions but am a little dubious of whether or not it will be too light for my deep skinned girls. Each Beach Tint contains 0.24 fl oz of product and retails for $25.


I am OBSESSED with the formula of these Shimmering Skin Perfector Luminous Blushes. They're quite vibrant and pigmented and leave your skin with a bit of glowy shine that's neither glittery or metallic. You definitely need to use a light hand (or a slightly less dense brush) to make sure you don't go overboard with the color. But when applied correctly they're SO SO pretty. In this set you'll receive the shade Snapdragon, a gorgeous coral pink that I think would be the perfect summer blush for any skintone. Each blush contains 6 grams of product and retails for $34.


Now, I know I said that all of these products were part of BECCA's permanent collection, and I guess that wasn't entirely true. You do also get this Shimmering Skin Perfector Slimlight in Champagne Pop, which, while it says is a Beautylish Exclusive, was previously sold at Sephora as part of the Champagne Glow Collection released in collaboration with Jaclyn Hill. The Champagne Glow collection was limited edition and is no longer available on the Sephora website, so it looks like Beautylish has managed to get their hands on a few of these lovely little sticks before they disappear forever. Champagne Pop is one of my absolute favorite highlighters - a soft, white goal with a a peachy-pink undertone, and this twist-up crayon makes it easy to pop on to targeted areas of the face. Each Slimlight contains 1.68 grams of product and retailed for $28.


To round things out you also get perhaps the most recognizable of all Becca products, the Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid in the shade Opal. These creamy liquid highlight can be mixed in with your foundation for an all-over glow, or applied on top of foundation to targeted areas like a normal cream highlight. Again, it gives you a luminous look without being overly sparkly or metallic. This is the one product that you do not get in full size. However, you still get a very generous 0.68 fl oz of product (which appears to retail for $19).


I've been really loving filming these first impression tutorials for you guys. Because really, I can talk about how pretty makeup is all day long, but it's a totally different thing to actually see it in action and how it applies. The only thing I wasn't super happy about was how the Beach Tint applied to the lips. It started out looking okay but then ended up being kind of dry and a little too ghostly on me. I think I definitely prefer this one applied to lips over cheeks. Otherwise I love how soft and glowy all of these products made my skin look!


Final verdict? I think if you've ever been curious about BECCA products and love the look of glowy, luminous makeup, this set is totally worth the splurge. You seriously can't beat the savings, and the products you get are all of amazing quality and would be flattering on most complexions. As someone with oily skin I will say that using all of these products in tandem without any kind of mattifying base might end up giving you a little too much glow by the end of the day. I would say you might want to mix and match depending on what overall look you're going for or have some blotting sheets on hand in case things cross the threshold from dewy into full-on shine. I've also found that avoiding my super oily areas with the Backlight Priming Filter helps to keep them from looking overly luminous. If you've tried any of these products or are planning on buying this set I'd love to hear your thoughts! Share them with us down in the comments below.

What is your favorite BECCA product?