Wednesday, June 3, 2015

May 2015 Empties


So, my empties collection is less than impressive this month. I feel like I'm getting close to the end of so many products, but I'm not quite there yet. Perhaps June will be a little bit more substantial. Anyway, I do have a few things (mainly samples) I've finished up that I can dish on. Shall we take a look?


I'm still relatively new to the Yes To Carrots brand, and this is only the second full-sized item I've picked up from them (with the first also being a pack of wipes). Conveniently, this pack came with a sample of the Yes to Grapefruit Daily Facial Scrub, which I finished up using around the same time. The Yes to Grapefruit Brightening Facial Wipes ($5.99) have a slightly scrubby texture, and are packed full of citrus oils and extracts to help break down dead skin and leave your skin looking glowy. As far as wipes go, they were definitely a bit more intense than some others that I've tried, and may be a little irritating to those of you with super sensitive skin. While I totally dig the fresh grapefruit fragrance, I actually think I might prefer the gentle feel of the Yes to Cucumbers Facial Wipes ($5.99) more.

I did, however, really enjoy using the Yes to Grapefruit Daily Facial Scrub ($9.99) every morning in the shower. It's got very gentle exfoliating particles that help to slough off dead skin without being too harsh or abrasive, and it always left my skin feeling soft and not at all dry or tight. The fresh citrus scent was also a great pick me up in the morning! While it may not do as much as a weekly exfoliating treatment, it's definitely a nice everyday cleanser to help move the cell turnover process along.


After hearing Tati from Glam Life Guru (one of my all time favorite beauty bloggers) rave on about how awesome this body moisturizer is, I was pretty pumped to try the sample tube I've had stockpiled in my beauty arsenal. With this past winter going on for what literally felt like an eon, I didn't seen any reason to use a beautifying body cream while every inch of my arms and legs was covered for warmth. However, as soon as that sunshine graced New England and I could bust out a dress, I was all over this. In terms of level of moisturization, greasiness, and general wear time The Jergens BB Body Perfecting Skin Cream ($9.99) was decent, sort of middle of the road. It's not too watery, but not too rich. Not incredibly nourishing, but definitely keeps your skin feeling soft all day. It also has a very subtle tint to it that I think does sort of even out your skintone ever so slightly, giving a more flawless finish. It also promises to firm and correct your skin over time, with visible results in five days. To be honest I'm not sure how much of a long term difference I noticed in my skin, although this little tube only got me through so many days of use. If I didn't have 20 tubs and bottles worth of lotion already I think I would definitely consider purchasing this for summer use. I'm dubious as to whether or not its a miracle worker, but it definitely does make your skin look a little nicer and keeps it feeling moisturized throughout the day.


My body moisturizer experimentation didn't stop with Jergens, as I also was pretty religiously using the Perlier Intensive Nurturing Body Balm with Lavender Extract ($30). This stuff is basically exactly what you would expect from the name alone. It's an ultra thick, ultra nourishing balm that provides intense moisturization to your driest bits. A quarter of the entire formula is comprised of 100% organic shea butter, which is fantastic at locking in moisture and helping to heal and soothe dry, irritated skin. I would rub a little bit on my ankles, knees, elbows, or any other rough patches, and found it did a great job of keeping scaly skin at bay. Unfortunately the thick texture is a bit of a pain to work with, and takes a while to completely absorb into your skin. It does also leave a bit of a greasy residue/shiny finish, which I guess is somewhat to be expected. I'm also not the biggest fan of lavender, although I certainly didn't hate it enough to mind using up this entire tube. Speaking of which, it also seemed to last FOREVER. If you're only using this balm on targeted areas of the body a full sized tub would probably last you a year. Possibly longer.


I'm not sure how many of these tiny bottles I've used up in my lifetime, but it's definitely approaching more than I can count on one hand. The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil ($10) is basically a godsend when it comes to combating pesky breakouts. Just a little dab will dry up pimples in no time without any of the harsh side effects you get with chemical laden products (because really, who wants to deal with peeling skin or bleached pillowcases?). Even though the bottle is small, it definitely will last you quite a while. My boyfriend had been using mine religiously, which is probably the only reason I went through this one so quickly. I think I'm going to need to be buying him his own bottle when I restock!


This last product was one I was actually really curious to try. I had gotten a chance to give the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($18.99) a whirl thanks to Influenster a few months back, and while it was definitely a decent product, I felt like it could sometimes actually leave my skin feeling bit more dried out with repeated use. When I took a peek at the ingredients list of it's sister product, the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream ($18.99), I was definitely more impressed (no artificial dyes or fragrances, and a few more nurturing ingredients) and thought I might like it even better than the version I had been sent. Thankfully I was able to score a sample of it in my Target Beauty Box this spring and didn't have to worry about splurging on the full size to make a comparison. I would definitely say that the Gel-Cream did not leave me with any of the tightness or dry feeling that I would get with the Water Gel. It perhaps did not leave my skin feeling quite as matte throughout the day, but I suppose that would be expected (especially with my having oily skin). That being said, I wouldn't say all oily girls should write this product off. It's still a very lightweight moisturizer that would probably work well for a number of complexions. If you're particularly oily you might like this at bedtime to nourish your skin while you sleep, while those with dry skin might find that this is perfect to create a smooth base under makeup. Either way I think I'd probably prefer this formula to the Water Gel one any day!

And that rounds things up! I suppose the one nice thing about not having so many empties this month is that I feel less guilty spending a little more time rambling about each specific product. By the time you get to the bottom of a bottle of something you definitely have developed a pretty concrete opinion about it, which for me means I always have plenty to say. I know I'm also totally way behind schedule on my end of the month wrap-up posts, but I've been working 9 and 10 hours days pretty much constantly, which has been leaving me little time to have...you know...a life. I've got about 8 draft posts in various states of completion in the queue, so I promise lots of awesome things to come in the next few weeks!

What products have you finished off this month? Were there any standouts? Anything you'd repurchase in a heartbeat?