Friday, June 19, 2015

New in at the Drugstore (Summer 2015)


I can never stay away from the beauty aisles of the drugstore for too long. With amazing deals and lots of coupons it's hard to resist new beauty at a fraction of the price! This time around I picked up a small assortment of things to try, most of which are relatively new to the shelves. I've got two recent styling products from my favorite drugstore haircare brand, Not Your Mother's, one of the uber hyped La Palette Nudes from L'Oreal, a multi hued-blush from Physician's Formula, and a gorgeously mattifying foundation from Maybelline.


If you take a look back at my February Favorites, you'll see that I absolutely gushed over the Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray. It seriously is one of the most amazing styling products I've ever used, but it's also insanely expensive. I've been keeping my eye out for less pricey alternatives, which is exactly why I needed to get my hands on the Not Your Mother's Double Take Dry Finish Texture Spray ($7). So far I've tried this a few times (because I really just couldn't wait to use it), and I think it's decent, but a bit different in texture from Oribe. If anything it actually reminds me a lot of the Rusk Texture Dry Finishing Spray (which, to the surprise of no one, is included in my April Favorites) in that it has a little more hold and feels a bit closer to hairspray. It basically gives your hair a bit of grip and messy texture so that you have a little bit of a more voluminous, piecey kind of look. If you're someone who has really fine, silky hair that will never stay put in braids or other updos, this will instantly make it more workable.

Since NYM was buy one, get one half off I couldn't resist also snagging a full size of the Not Your Mother's Déja Vu 'Do Primer & Style Extender ($9). I actually got a sample of this from my May Ipsy Bag and loved it, so I figured now was as good a time as any to buy a back up. It smells just like fresh berries and definitely keeps your hair looking fresher longer. I know Living Proof also makes a Style Extender that costs three times as much as this, and I think this is a really great affordable alternative.


While it seems that everyone and their mom has got their hands on the original La Palette Nude, I decided to take the road less travelled and pick up this collection of purpley-pink neutrals instead. The L'Oreal La Palette Nude 2 ($19.99) is not exactly cheap for a drugstore eyeshadow palette, but it's at least half the cost of something similar from Urban Decay. I plan on doing a full review with swatches and a look in the near future, so make sure to be on the lookout for that!


A few months back I decided to pick up the Nude Wear Touch of Glow Stick from Physician's Formula. I was drawn in by the convenience of a base in stick form, and also the totally adorable rose-gold-on-pink packaging. While I had a crazy coupon deal for Physician's Formula products, I thought I would try out the blush from this range as well. The Physician's Formula Glowing Nude Blush in Natural ($12.95) looked quite pretty with a mix of different pink tones and a slight hint of shimmer. I haven't had a mosaic styled blush in eons, so I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

The last thing I snagged from my little drugstore escapades is the Maybelline Fit me! Matte + Poreless Foundation ($7.99). I had tried a sample of this from my Walmart Beauty Box this past spring and immediately knew I had to have it. Honestly I think the drugstore is really upping its game on the foundation scene. This particular formula is creamy, but not too heavy, and has a really silky, satiny matte finish. It leaves your skin looking incredibly smooth and flawless (and you could even up the game more with a little primer). I don't think it's quite as long wearing as the L'Oreal Infallible Foundation, although you'll definitely get a solid 6-8 hours of it looking good. It's also incredibly affordable, and I think the shade range is much better than L'Oreal's.

And that about rounds up this little haul! I definitely will report back once I've given everything a proper go to give you a more comprehensive review. If there's a particular product you're curious about or would like to hear my thoughts on first, let me know! I hope you all have fabulous weekends ahead.