Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sick Day Saving Graces

So, I definitely did not get my labor day weekend off to a good start by getting myself sick. These past few days have been a bit rough. My job has a very strict attendance policy, so I've had to go in the past few days despite my general grossness. Fortunately I'm home for the night and finally have a chance to relax.

Every time I get sick and I'm lying around feeling stuffy and achy and generally miserable there are a few things that I've come to realize are absolute life savers. And as the cooler weather and subsequent flu season approach, I thought it'd be a good idea to share with you all what some of them are. Hopefully you won't be needing them anytime soon, but they're great to have on hand just in case you do!

The first and probably most wonderful of all sick-time necessities is LUSH Ultrabalm. It can be used much in the same way you would use vaseline, except it's about 10 times more expensive and about 1,000 times better for your skin. It's a petroleum-free balm that nourishes, soothes, moisturizes, and protects irritated skin and is my number one remedy for post-kleenex-binge-rudolph-nose. Unlike Vaseline and it's equivalents, Ultrabalm isn't full of mineral oil or other nasty pore clogging chemicals, which makes an acne prone girl like myself very happy. And if your lips are chapping as much as your nose, you can use this stuff to help moisturize and heal them as well! Ultrabalm really can be used for just about any angry skin ailment from sunburns, to dry skin, to scrapes and cuts. One tin will set you back about $14, but a little goes a long way and with it's crazy versatility I think it's a totally worthy investment.


The next thing that I seem to consume in mass quantity whenever I'm sick is tea. I love tea of all types and flavors, but when I've got a nasty cold I try to stay away from the caffeinated varieties. My favorite tea when I'm sick is Tazo Calm Camomile Full-Leaf tea. It's super soothing and relaxing, and definitely helps to put the fire out from a scratchy throat. I've also discovered this handy natural cold and flu remedy that not only tastes delicious when added to said tea, but also imbibes it with extra germ-busting powers.

If you read my previous blog post about self-care, you will already know that I'm a big fan of baths, especially when you aren't feeling well. Not only will the steam help to relieve some of your congestion, but it also will soothe some of the aches and pains and stiffness that sometimes come along with a cold or flu. A pop in the bath right before bedtime with Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Luxury Bath in Lavender Vanilla will get you relaxed and ready to get some much needed zzz's.

Of course, as with most viruses, there is no magical cure. You ultimately just have to let nature run its course. But these couple of things at least make the process a little less miserable. I think I'm slowly starting to feel better, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be recovered by the weekend.

Speaking of which, lots of fun things on the horizon! This Saturday is my good friend Andrea's bachelorette party, which I've been really looking forward to. Lots of mischief and mayhem to be had, I'm sure. And then Monday I'll be going to NYC for Birchbox's first-ever Birchbloggers Meet Up Event! I never do anything spontaneous, and I figured...what the heck? Why not plan an impromptu trip into the city? I'm so excited about it, and I can't wait to mingle with my fellow North Eastern bloggers and play with all kinds of beauty goodies! I will definitely be tweeting/instagramming about the event, so follow me if you'd like to get the scoop. I'm sure I'll also be posting a full report when I get back.

So, that's all for now lovelies. It's time for me to get ready for bed and get some sleep!

Stay gorgeous (and stay healthy!!),
Lauren