Sunday, September 1, 2013

Summer 2013 Favorites

I can't believe the summer is finally coming to a close. When you aren't someone with kids or who is going back to school themselves, it's easy to be in denial about the whole thing. The weather has still been warm and beautiful as ever, and there's a little part of me that wants to believe that it'll just keep going on forever....and then I'll walk into just about any store and see that everyone is already in full-out Halloween mode, and realize it's only a matter of time before I have to begrudgingly pack away my flip flops and sundresses.

But, instead of mourning over the passing of my favorite season, I figured it would be much nicer to celebrate the warmer months by recapping some of my favorite products from this summer.





Coola Liplux SPF 15 Peppermint + Vanilla Lip Balm - $12.00
Wearing SPF in the summer might seem like a no-brainer, but often times we only think to put in on our face and bodies. Lips, however, can easily become chapped and burned from the sun as well, so it's important to protect them too! I really love this lip balm from Coola to do the job. It's made with all-natural food-grade ingredients, 70% of which are organic. It's super moisturizing, and the peppermint and vanilla fragrance is delicious. This scented version contains SPF 15, but they also have an unscented version with SPF 30.


Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens - $10.00
If you're an oily skinned gal like myself, then you've probably had the experience of feeling like an oil-slick halfway through a hot summer day. Mattifying primers and powders can help, but sometimes I feel even grosser if I keep layering product after product on top of my skin to combat the greasies. My favorite fix is Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens. They actually soak up and remove excess oil from your skin, leaving you feeling soft and refreshed. Also, they aren't full of nasty chemicals and mineral oil, like some drugstore imitations.

Josie Maran Watercolor Cheek Gelee $22.00
I am mildly obsessed with this blush. It is quite possibly one of my most favorite formulas ever. Compared to a lot of other gel blushes, this is not at all sticky or difficult to work with. It leaves a soft, dewy finish, and the color is super natural looking and easy to blend. It also contains argan oil and coconut water to keep your skin nourished and hydrated. I have the color Honeymoon Honey - a sort of warm peachy-brown color that is the perfect compliment to so many different looks, but especially a smokey bronze eye.


Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 50 - $35.00
Finding a good sunscreen is not always easy, especially when you have sensitive or acne prone skin. I really love this facial sunscreen, though. It's super thick and rich and kept my face burn free - even after long days at the beach. It also didn't irritate my skin or cause me to breakout, which was definitely a plus!

Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream - $32.00
I've tried many a BB/CC cream, but in the end this is the one I always come back to. It strikes the perfect balance between providing enough coverage, and maintaining a light no-makeup feel. I use the shade light/medium and it seems to work really well with my skin tone - even when I've gotten a little summer color. I also love that the formula is so much more skin-friendly than other BBs or CCs out there, and yet it performs just as well as or even better than many of them. It's got SPF 35 with full UVA/UVB and IRA protection, and is oxybenzone, paraben, and fragrance free.







Julep Nail Color  - $14.00
I have never been as impressed with a nail polish as I was the first time I tried Julep. It applies more easily and more evenly than any other polish I've tried (especially for an opaque creme color), dries quickly, and wears really well with no chips for days. I definitely want to invest in more shades in the future, but for now I've only tried Jackie - a bright cherry red. However, Jackie is definitely a perfect summer pedicure color (and it matches one of my bathing suits beautifully!).






Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy - $70.00
There was a point in my life when I was a bit younger that I always had a signature fragrance. Lately, though, I find myself loving so many that I can't choose just one. Viva la Juicy is actually the latest fragrance that I've added to my collection, but it's the one that I keep reaching for when I'm going out on a summer night. It's sweet and fruity, with just a tiny hint of spicy exotic notes like Jasmine and Sandalwood. I feel super girly and flirty every time I spritz a little on.

The Body Shop Mango Body Butter - $20.00
When you're constantly shaving in the summer it's important to make sure your bare legs stay moisturized. The Body Shop's Body Butter is one of my favorite products from the store, and one of my favorite lotions all together. The mango scent screams summer, and is seriously so delicious you might be tempted to eat it (but really, that wouldn't be a good idea). It's super rich and soaks right into your skin to keep you soft and smooth all day long.



Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle Leave-in Conditioner -  $21.95
One of the things I love most about the summer are pool parties, but over chlorination and being exposed to constant UV rays can wreak havoc on your hair. This Birchbox exclusive has been a godsend for mine all summer. After washing and conditioning I spray this all over damp hair, concentrating on the ends, and then comb through. It keeps your hair super soft and shiny without weighing it down. It also smells ridiculously amazing - sort of vanilla-y but with some amber and caramel notes. On top of all of its smoothing and shine enhancing features, it also protects your hair against UV rays and heat damage. I seriously don't know how I lived without this!


Even though there is not much summer left to use these beauties, they really are awesome enough to stay in rotation through the whole year, so don't feel like you've missed out if you invest in one of them now. If you've already got one or more of these products at home, I'd love to hear what you think about them!


Unrelated sidenote, I have exciting news!! Expect another post later with updates :-)

Until then, stay gorgeous all!
Lauren