Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Boston Adventures & NYX the "It" List


There honestly aren't enough hours in the day.

I especially feel this way on the weekends, which always fly by faster than I can comprehend. This weekend especially was no exception. I spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday running around Boston with some of my best friends sightseeing, making mischief, and eating many, many delicious things. I felt a bit guilty whipping out my phone every two seconds to take pictures (I know, I was "that guy" #sorrynotsorry...), but sometimes you just want to capture the moment.

I love my friends to death, and ultimately the time spent with them, my family, or anyone else who makes my world a bit brighter could not be put to better use. I do, however, also love blogging, and it makes me a bit sad that I can't always fit in as much time for it as I'd like.
That being said...makeup times! Back in August (that sounds about right...not entirely sure) I won a giveaway on Ipsy's facebook page and received this lovely set of NYX lip goodies in the mail. I've had such a crazy past few months that it's been hard to keep up just with my subscription boxes, let alone all of the other products I've acquired.

When I got back from California, though, I decided that I needed to be in full-on blogging mode and finally busted these lovelies out of the package. The NYX "it" List set includes 5 full-sized glosses in super pretty pink-to-neutral shades in a variety of formulas and levels of coverage. While I received the Naturals collection, there is also a "Pinks" version that includes some richer berry toned colors. The price point is perfectly reasonable at $20. The actual value of all the glosses if purchased separately is $27.50, so it's like you're getting a whole gloss free (and then some)!

From left to right: Soft Matte Lip Cream in Antwerp, Mega Shine Lip Gloss in Perfect, Xtreme Shine Lip Cream in Natural, Pump it Up Lip Plumper in Kim, Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee


Soft Matte Lip Cream in Antwerp ($6)
With super light, mousse like texture, this lip cream glides on very smoothly and easily. The pigmentation was much stronger than I was initially expecting, and once it dries it's resistant to smudging, budging, and transferring. Antwerp is a bright strawberry-coral color, that isn't overly assertive for everyday wear. It also smells super yummy upon application (a little bit vanilla, with some fruity notes), that unfortunately does not linger for long.


Mega Shine Lip Gloss in Perfect ($5)
Your standard, run-of-the mill gloss, this was probably my least favorite from the set. The color is very sheer, and has a bit of sparkle to it, which to me can wear a bit young (and I have enough problems with people mistaking me for being much younger than I am). I'm also not a big fan of the thick, goopy-ish texture of a traditional lip gloss. The smell is pretty awesome, but such is the case with the rest of the products in this set.


Xtreme Shine Lip Cream in Natural ($6)
A super shiny, decently pigmented gloss/lipstick hybrid, this is a nice day-to-day alternative for a traditional nude lipstick. It's got a very creamy consistency and feels moisturizing without feeling goopy or sticky. Color-wise, Natural is a little bit more beige shifting than pink, but pretty nonetheless. It's also got a sweet, fruity smell that is so very familiar to me, but I can't quite place.


Pump it Up Lip Plumper in Kim ($5.50)
I'm not a huge fan of the concept of a plumping gloss, mainly because I think they are more smoke and mirrors than anything else. This gloss is a very sheer nude that can be nice for everyday wear or with an intense eye look. It's got that minty tingle upon application, which I interpret is part of the "plumping" action.  While being super shiny and creating a fuller look, this gloss is also a bit sticky, especially as it starts to fade.


Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee ($5)
I'd heard a lot of hype about these butter glosses from other bloggers, so I was excited to be able to give this a try. All of the colors are named for decadent desserts, which is definitely part of the appeal. Creme brulee is a sheer, soft pink that I've been wearing almost daily. It doesn't have the greatest lasting power, but it's sheer enough that you can easily reapply without a mirror throughout the day. The texture of this gloss is certainly buttery and rich upon application, although it does have a tendency to have residual stickiness over time. It also smells as good as it's name suggests - sweet and sugary (although I kind of wished it tasted that way too!).

I definitely am very thankful to NYX and Ipsy for gifting such an awesome prize! I haven't had a ton of time to try each individual lippy, so these are truly just my first impressions. Hopefully I'll be able to experiment even more and develop a better sense of each of them. But in general, all of these shades are perfectly wearable for the everyday. Are you a fan of NYX lip glosses? Which is your favorite? Post a comment and tell me about it!

On an unrelated sidenote, I've got SO many amazing beauty things coming my way this week that I can't wait to share (hauls, prizes, subscription boxes...oh my). Pretty sure I'm getting both my Birchbox and Sephora 20% off haul in the mail today (is it 5 o'clock yet??). Keep an eye out this week for lots of fun updates.

Until then, stay gorgeous lovelies!
Lauren