Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fall 2014 Walmart Beauty Box


There's a new beauty box in town, being delivered by none other than your neighborhood Walmart. As much as I love my usual subscription boxes (and the prestige products they often introduce me to), it's definitely a nice change to see what's new and interesting in the drugstore. You also can't beat the price tag (which is $5 for shipping, the box itself is free). Once you sign up, the Walmart Beauty Box will appear on your doorstep at the beginning of each season, giving you an opportunity to refresh your beauty stash every couple of months. My fall beauty box just arrived this weekend, and I was definitely pleasantly surprised with all the goodies I got.


Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner
Sample, $0.42 Value each ($4.99 Full Size each)

Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Nourishing Hair Treatment
Sample, $1.42 Value ($11.98 Full Size)

Dove has quickly become one of my favorite drugstore brands. Their products are so gentle and nourishing, and don't break the bank. I've seen (and clipped many a coupon for) this Oxygen Moisture Haircare line before, but haven't had a chance to try it out. I'm actually starting to run low on shampoo and conditioner (amazingly), so I'm excited to give these samples a try and see if the full sizes are worth buying. The Dry Oil Treatment sample is also a nice bonus. I've been obsessing over my Macadamia Oil Spray that I got in my Birchbox this month, so I'm curious to see how this compares.


L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Gossy Balm in Innocent Coral
Full Size, $6.97

Apparently Walmart can read my mind, because they sent me the perfect shade from this line to try (I can never seem to get enough of coral for lips and cheeks). Chubby sticks for lips are a big thing in the makeup world at the moment, and everyone seems to be tacking a crack at their own version. While I've already tried Revlon and CoverGirl's similar offerings, I have yet to try this one from L'Oreal. Definitely excited to experiment!


Nicki Minaj Pink Friday Eau De Parfum
Sample, $1.20 Value ($29.97 for 1 oz bottle)

Celebrity perfumes are not often my favorite, but I'm pretty open minded about trying new fragrances. Pink Friday reminds me a lot of Juicy Couture's Viva la Juicy, with similar sweet fruity notes that scream "I'm fun, feminine, and ready to party". Seeing as I already have a bottle of said perfume on my dresser, I probably will pass on buying the full size of this, but it does smell nice enough that I will make good use of my sample.


CoverGirl Glowing Nights Glosstinis in #Afterdark
Full Size, $2.97

How adorable is this mini bottle of polish?! Considering that most of us probably never use all of the polish in a normal sized bottle I think it's super smart of CoverGirl to offer these petite ones with a lower price tag. While I'm totally game to rock a bold turquoise shade such as this one, it's not something I'll be using on a weekly basis, so a larger bottle really isn't necessary. I'll be trying this little guy out as soon as my latest manicure starts to wear. Also, I'm not sure exactly what a "nail gloss" is compared to a polish, but I guess I will find out!


Secret Clinical Strength Completely Clean Invisible Solid Deodorant
Full Size, $7.92

As a beauty blogger I've talked a lot about the different bottles, pots, and tubes that fill up my bathroom cabinets and drawers, but have never touched on deodorant. For most of us it's as much a morning get-ready staple as our shampoo, so I'm really glad that Walmart chose to include this. I personally have a small stockpile of Dove deodorant in my linen closet, but I think I might have to try this one out as soon as my current tube is finished. I'm fortunate enough to not generally be a sweaty person, but if something claims to keep my underarms extra dry and extra nice smelling, I can't say I'd disapprove.


L'Oreal Paris Youth Code Pore Vanisher
Sample, $0.86 Value ($19.98 Full Size)

Some people are blessed with small, invisible pores. I am not one of these people. I have a tendency to get overly hyped about pore minimizing products, and often have my hopes let down. If this stuff works you will be sure to hear about it!


Neutrogena Nourishing Long Wear Makeup
$15.99 for Full Size

One of my biggest frustrations with drugstore foundation is that you can't actually try it on your skin in the store. This sampler card is extremely handy for figuring out my perfect shade at home (and in natural lighting). I've heard good things about this Neutrogena foundation, and with a $2 off coupon I may need to grab a bottle the next time it goes on sale.


All in all I have to say that I was really happy with my first Walmart Beauty Box. The variety of products was great, covering everything from makeup, to hair care, to fragrance, to skincare. In addition to samples I also received 3 full-sized products, which makes my $5 investment more than worth it. If you're not a big beauty product junkie, but are interested in maybe getting to try some new things, this box is perfect for you.

Total Box Value: $22.18

Have you tried the Walmart Beauty Box? What kinds of goodies did you get this season?