Saturday, October 4, 2014

September 2014 Glambag


Good morning, friends! I know I've been quiet in the past couple of weeks, but mainly it's because I've been spending the majority of my free time lately with my nose in a book. As much as I love blogging, I also love reading, and every once in a while I need some time away from my laptop and to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of internet life. You can also blame the Birchbox Book Club, because their September book, Big Little Lies, was particularly enthralling. My hope is to write up a review this weekend!

But anyway, it's about time that I get back to business (the most fun kind of business, of course) and round up the last of my unfinished September posts. First on my list is to give you the run down on my Glambag from last month. Take a look!
With all eyes on the big city for New York Fashion Week, September's Glambag offerings were all about Street Style - looking sleek, sexy, and high fashion. I was pretty pleased with the 5 products that I got, with a nice balance of makeup, skincare, and haircare. Here's a quick breakdown.
  • Hikari Lipstick in Cabernet
  • Nourish Organic Moisturizing Cream Face Cleanser
  • Pacifica Natural Waterproof Eye Pencil
  • Alterna Caviar CC Cream 10-in-1 Complete Correction Leave-in Hair Perfector
  • Crown Brush Infinity Shadow/Crease Duet Brush

Hikari Lipstick in Cabernet, Full Size $13 Value

Okay, so quick gripe. What is it with me getting defective packaging in my Glambags? First the labelless lip balm, and now a very smudgy print on my lipstick. *Sigh*

Anyway, I actually am quite in love with this lipstick. With a beautiful satin-creme finish this wine red is the perfect color for fall. At first I was a little hesitant to rock such a bold color on a work day, but I ended up getting so many compliments that I now might just have to make it a more regular thing. As for the formula itself - it's kind of a mixed bag. The pigmentation is great, and the color goes on beautifully. It has a bit of a dry feel on the lips, but is also decently long wearing. I did notice that after eating/drinking I could easily end up with the dreaded ring around my lips (you know what I'm talking about), which meant reapplying throughout the day is kind of a must. I sort of regret taking a peek at the ingredients list (which is chock full of all kinds of chemical goodness) but I can't say that I was surprised by it. Will I buy more of these lipsticks? Probably not. Will I keep wearing the one I have? Hell yes. Just look at how pretty it is!


Nourish Organic Moisturizing Cream Face Cleanser, Sample $2.33 Value (Full Size, $13.99)

So this was a bit of a weird one for me. I love love love me some organic skincare, and the ingredients list on this guy was quite promising. Aloe, coconut oil, cucumber extract - all good stuff that I'm happy to slather all over my face. I also have been gravitating toward gentle and moisturizing formulas, despite my skin being oily and acne prone, as they tend to be less irritating. When it came time to jump in the shower and try this cleanser out, I was a bit surprised. For what I was expecting to be a moisturizing formula, I felt like this left my skin with that tight, squeaky clean feeling. The scent was also not my favorite, with some strangely savory notes (most likely from the watercress and various seed oils). I think I need to give it a few more tries to get a more solid opinion, but at the moment it hasn't won me over.


Pacifica Natural Eye Pencil in Gun Metal, Sample $2.87 Value (Full Size $11)

Pacifica has been one of those brands on my to-try list forever. Going along with the natural makeup/skincare kick that I've been on, I'm excited to try some cosmetics that leave mineral oils, parabens, and other junk behind. Having tried a few other natural eyeliner pencils, I've noticed a trend that they tend to be a little harder and less pigmented than their non natural cousins. While this might not have been the smoothest pencil I've ever used, the color did last decently well. I received the shade Gun Metal, a metallic taupe-gray. Personally I would have liked to get the dark brown shade that was sampled just because I think it would be more wearable with my skin tone/eye color. Gun Metal would probably look stunning on someone fair skinned with blue eyes.


Alterna Caviar CC Cream 10-in-1 Complete Correction Leave-In Hair Perfector, Sample $8.50 Value (Full Size $25)

Despite the overly complicated name and marketing strategies, this hair cream does do some amazing things. This is actually not my first go-round with the 10-in-1 CC Cream, having snagged a similar sample within the last year. It's very lightweight, and leaves hair feeling silky smooth without sacrificing volume or movement. The scent is very light and fresh, which may appeal to you if you are not a fan of haircare with overpowering fragrance. With a hefty $25 price tag I'm pretty unlikely to invest in the full-size when my sample runs out (I also am pretty loyal to my Beauty Protector Protect &  Detangle Spray, which offers a similar profile of hair benefits).



Who doesn't love a good makeup brush? I don't care how many eyeshadow brushes I've currently got sitting on my dresser, I always will welcome another one. This duo brush would be great for traveling or on-the-go application, as it's got just about everything you need to create basic eye looks. The synthetic bristles are perfect for applying wet or dry formulas and should hold up well to washing. I'm not sure that I'd necessarily pay the $17.50 price tag to buy this brush on its own, but I'll certainly be happy to add it to my collection!


Total Bag Value: $44.20

A pretty solid bag overall. The Hikari lipstick takes the cake as far as being my favorite product I received. I also can't complain about having another tube of Alterna's CC Cream, as my previous was just about to run out. Did you get a Glambag in September? What was your favorite product?

Want to get your own monthly glambag? Use my referral link and sign up here!