Saturday, September 13, 2014

Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner Palette Review

Since I've started beauty blogging, I've found myself being quite a bit more adventurous with trying new products at random, especially in the drugstore. I'll arrive at CVS one Sunday morning with an arsenal of coupons and carefully explore the displays of various makeup brands looking for interesting and affordable products that I want to try. I never end up spending a ton of money, and if I can find even one awesome products out of a few that I try I consider the trip a success.

Once in a while I'll come across a product that I'm really excited about. I'll be ripping off the packaging once I've barely made it back home and almost immediately after I try it I realize how incredibly disappointed I'm about to be. Such was the case with this Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner Palette. I want to like it so badly, but the more I try the sadder I become.


When I first laid eyes on the display for this product I was immediately drawn to the adorable knit pattern pressed into the shadows. Maybe I'm sweater crazy with fall on the way, but I just loved this little touch. The palette is comprised of 5 different coordinated shades that can double as both shadows and liners, and retails for a very reasonable price of $8.99. There are 5 different color variations you can choose from, all of which are actually quite pretty. I settled on Rich Temptations, which includes a deep brown, sage green, champagne, a muted berry, and a soft pink.

With it begin such a pretty palette I was really hoping that Revlon stepped up their game and delivered a formula that would be on the same level as such pretty packaging. Unfortunately I found the quality of these shadows to be a bit subpar. They were not incredibly pigmented, and had a sort of streaky finish. I swatched them again more heavily over my NYX HD Primer and had a little more success.


All of the colors have a bit of a sheen to them. They aren't outright glittery, but definitely do not have a matte finish. As with most makeup I would say that with some experimentation and practice you could probably make this palette work for you. Good brushes and a primer are a must if you want any chance of a nice, well-blended look. I really love the colors in this palette, so I don't want to give up on it just yet. But now that I've discovered affordable palettes like this one from Coastal Scents it's hard to want to use anything less creamy and beautiful.

Have you ever made an impulse purchase on looks alone? Did you end up finding a dream or a dud? I'd love to hear your story!