Tuesday, May 12, 2015

May 2015 Julep Maven Box


In the past few days, I have decided something. For all the credit New England gets for having seasons, we always seem to get jipped on spring. It was snowing in April and less than a month later its 90 degrees outside. Fortunately for me I love summer weather, so I'm not minding the heat too much. I just would have liked to have more of a transition period. Still, it's all too fitting that the weather has me ready to pack up and head to the beach because my May Julep Maven Box already had me mentally halfway there. This month's theme is "Set Sail", featuring some gorgeous nautical inspired beauty products and polishes. Let's just hop on an imaginary cruise ship for a moment (headed somewhere tropical, preferably) and chat about the awesome products I picked!


While there were definitely some pretty polish colors to pick from, I decided to pass this time around and just stick to a couple of beauty items. Both were relatively pricey, so I didn't have the option to add a third item. There was a little part of me that felt kind of bummed about that, but I also realize that I'd rather have two more valuable items I love than three that I don't. Let's take a closer look at what I chose.




A blend of lightweight yet nourishing oils that moisturize, condition, and restore elasticity and suppleness to the body.

$23 ($18.40 for Mavens)


I'm not going to lie, Julep totally suckered me into this one with the description of it's intoxicating, tropical scent. I had first come across this product back in maybe March (aka. the never-ending winter) when I had been utterly desperate for anything reminiscent of the sunshine and the sound of the waves and I decided I needed to have it. As luck would have it it popped up as an option for one of this month's product choices, and I was all over it.

My initial impression is somewhat mixed but generally positive. While the product page promises a non greasy satin finish, I would say this is a bit of a stretch. It definitely is lightweight, but it's still an oil, which means by nature its going to leave a little bit of a slippery residue behind. On the plus side, the spray nozzle releases a very fine mist that covers quite a bit of area, so you can easily spray your whole body down post shower and get a nice even application. Some people have complained about the pump getting clogged over time, which is a bit concerning to me. I haven't had any problems so far, but I would be disappointed if that happened. The Vitamin E rich formula keeps your skin feeling soft and nourished, and it smells fantastic. Julep describes the beach tonic scent as being "citrusy with floral notes". I'd say it reminds me of a breezy, summer day. Either way, if you're looking for a lightweight, summery moisturizer, this definitely fits the bill!




A duo of luscious eyeshadows with dense color and all-day wearability.
$20


I probably need more eyeshadow like I need a hole in the head, but I just can't seem to stop myself from trying new ones. These shadow duos are a brand new launch from Julep, and I was really curious to see how the formula was. There are quite a few pretty color combinations available, but 5th Ave & Broadway especially caught my eye. The combination of matte peach and shimmery rose gold is basically about as Lauren as eyeshadow can get.

The product page promises a color rich formula with all day wear, and I have to say, it does not disappoint! The matte shade was quite buttery and smooth, and not at all chalky, and the shimmer shade was beautifully luminous and pigmented without a ton of fall out. The pans are huge, and I'm pretty sure even with every day wear it would take an eon to get through an entire one. The sleek black packaging and large mirror is also a nice touch and gives it a high end feel.

Basically, if you're someone who prefers a soft or more natural makeup look, this duo would be a perfect everyday go-to! I'm sure it's going to be one of mine for the next couple of weeks.





And that about wraps things up! Short and sweet this month, but I'm pretty happy with what I got. For the $20 subscription fee I paid I got $43 worth of product, which is definitely a solid investment. Also, I've finally racked up enough Jules (Maven's reward points) for a free box or for free upgrades, so depending on what next month's selection looks like I may go a little bit more bananas. We shall see!