Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day Makeover


Happy Mother's Day! I know it's a bit late in the day for well wishes, but I'm just now finally sitting down, relaxing, and have a moment to chat. Even though I'm not yet a mom myself, Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays of the year. My mom and I have always been pretty close, and I really love having an extra excuse to do something special for her. Unfortunately we both have been pretty busy lately, so we had to keep things relatively simple this year. Our festivities involved going out for a delicious brunch and a mini makeover. While we were too impatient to take pictures of our meals before we dug in (eggs benedict were involved, I can't be held responsible), I've got plenty to share with you from our little beauty session. My mom and I dug through her makeup stash and picked out some of her most loved products to create a slightly glammed up version of her everyday look.


My mom might not think of herself as a trendsetter, but I know that she had started using the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup ($10.99) long before it's sister concealer became all the rage. This foundation is really unique in that it has a built in sponge tip applicator, making it extra easy to apply. I did show her a little trick by using my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to buff her foundation for an extra flawless finish.

I didn't seem much in the way of concealer in my mom's makeup stash, so I whipped out my  IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Anti Aging Concealer in Natural Medium ($24) to brighten up her undereye area. After dotting the product under the eyes I used the Real Techniques Setting Brush to buff everything out and make sure it was well blended with her foundation.

I was pretty impressed to see that my mom had hit pan on her L'Oreal Visible Lift Color Lift Blush in Peach Gold Lift ($12.95), since I never seem to manage to finish a single makeup product. I loved the color, which is a peachy pink with a bit of gold shimmer, and the cream to powder formula was incredibly easy to blend. I used my fingers to apply a bit to the apples of her cheeks, and went back in with my Expert Face Brush to blend.

When it comes to eyeshadow, my mom is a big fan of taupes and chocolatey browns. She usually slaps a single shade all over the lid, so I thought I'd show her some ways to up her game a few notches. First, I applied Bare Minerals Eyecolor in Clay ($14), a neutral matte shade, all over the lid to work as a transition color. Then, I applied Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Taupe ($4.49) close to the lash line and blended upward toward the crease. My mom is a big fan of gel pot eyeliners (I take credit for the influence), so I applied her L'Oreal Infallible Lacquer Liner 24 hr in Espresso ($9.95) close to the lash line to add some definition. Then, before it set, I used a dense eyeshadow brush to smoke the liner out and blend it into the underlying eyeshadow.

To balance out the lower lash line I used her Milani Shadow Eyez 12 Hr Wear Eyeshadow Pencil in Espresso ($7.49), which is slightly less intense than the gel liner. Then I finished her eyes off with a few coats of gorgeously dramatic L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara ($8.99).

With such a statement eye look, I needed to make sure mom's brows were equally on point. I had always been curious about brow markers worked, and I was really impressed with how natural the NYX Eyebrow Marker in Medium ($9.75) looked. To lock everything in place all I needed were a few swipes of Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel in Caramel ($22). Then, just to add a little bit of brightness, I swiped a bit of Benefit Cosmetics Watt's Up! ($30) right along the brow bone and used my fingers to blend.

Mom is pretty no-fuss with lip products. Mirenesse Glossy Kiss in Cheeky Kiss ($29.95) is a really pretty neutral pink shade that acts as a sort of lip stick and liner in one, and tied together her whole look beautifully. And of course, after all the raving I've been doing about the L'Oreal Infallible Pro Spray & Set Makeup Extender Setting Spray ($16.99), it was no surprise that mom requested giving it a try.



I think mom's finished look came out quite lovely. She seemed pretty happy with it too, and that's the most important part! Even though I was no where near as made up as she was, we had to take a mother daughter selfie to capture the moment.


I hope all of you moms out there had a wonderful day and got plenty of appreciation and pampering from your families. If you did something special for your mom (or had something special planned for you) I'd love to hear about it! Post me a comment and let me know how you celebrated this year.