Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Little Blushing Birdie Does LA!


Much to my dismay I have finally made my way back to the chilly East Coast. California was beautiful (and warm), and my trip there went by all to quickly. I knew I had palm trees in store for me, but I don't think that it fully registered until I woke up in Pasadena that there would also be mountains. And desert.

I don't want to bore you too much with the details of my travels, but I thought it would be fun to share a few pictures of the places I visited. I'd love to hear if you've seen any of them in person as well.
On my first full day in California my mom and I decided to drive from Pasadena out to Santa Monica and follow Route 1 north up the coast. The Santa Monica mountains that run through Malibu are definitely something for an East Coaster like myself to behold.


We finally decided to stop and get a closer look at the Pacific at Leo Carillo State Park. I've seen many a beautiful waterscape from this location, so it was really cool to finally be there in person.


I can now also finally say I've actually been in the Pacific Ocean. Or at least, my toes can say it.


When a break in the mountains finally appeared my mom and I headed back for the highway, which took us driving for miles through acres of mountain side farmland. The next time I eat a pepper I'll be thinking of this place!

We stopped off for lunch in the city of Thousand Oaks. While we were eating we noticed the Conejo Botanical Gardens were right around the corner, and decided they might be fun to check out. We quickly learned that there isn't much in the way of flora to see in late October, with the exception of some cool looking Cacti.

 

What we did find, though, were some amazing views.


I was pretty happy about this.


We also found this very cool looking chair/table sculpture type deal.


Sitting there with empty seats around me did make me miss my friends a bit. 

 

The next day we were headed to Glen Ivy Hot Springs in Corona for Danielle's bridal shower. Since I realized I may have neglected to say this earlier, my mom and I had made the trek across the country for Danielle and my cousin Steve's wedding.

 

The bridesmaids had reserved a cabana for us, which was lovely. There were lots of mimosas to be consumed, and much lingere to be gifted. After the shower-ing we got to lounge around pool side (by many, many pools) and enjoy the spa.


The next day I was back in full-fledged tourist mode and got to see some of LA's more well-known sites.


There was some serious window shopping on Rodeo drive.

Because, well, let's face it. I need to add some zeros to my income to be able to afford any real shopping here.


We traversed through Hollywood.


Saw the hand and footprints outside the TCL Chinese Theater (I loved Julie Andrews as a kid, couldn't resist).


Then made our way down Olvera drive to admire all the handcrafted goodness.


Saturday was wedding day. I was all too excited to wear the dress I bought from Coralie Beatrix's Etsy shop (you should check out her dresses, they're super pretty and very reasonably priced!).


The ceremony was really quite beautiful.



I also LOVED the centerpieces (hydrangeas AND purple? I'm totally on board).

Most importantly I met SO many wonderful people who were all so welcoming to that random cousin who lives on the other side of the country. I was sad to leave them all (and also the 70 degree weather) behind.

I was (and still am) really excited to get home and get blogging again. The very long plane ride to and from California provided me with lots of time to brainstorm new ideas for posts. I came up with some concepts that I can't wait to start working on, so be on the lookout for new and exciting things in November!

I also know that I have yet to review my October Glambag (shame on me) as well as write a few other monthly updates. I can't promise them by the end of the month, but hopefully by the end of the week.

In the meantime, stay adventurous and stay gorgeous!
Lauren