Friday, October 31, 2014

Julep Trick or Treat Mystery Box


Happy Halloween, friends! I'm feeling all kinds of festive and happy today. I took the day off from work to give myself some much needed R&R and blogging catch up time (complete with an AMAZING bubble bath with my Sparkly Pumpkin Bubble Bar, of course). One of the things on my to-do list was to share with all of you the Julep Trick or Treat Mystery box I ordered at the beginning of the month. As you may have seen, I signed up for Julep's Maven subscription, and I decided to add this fun surprise on to my first order. It cost $24.99 and promised over $125 worth of products. Even though I had heard mixed reviews about the quality of Julep's last mystery box, I decided I would take a risk and hit the "order" button. With that type of value, and my not having a ton of Julep products at home I figured...why not?


I have to say, I was thrilled when I opened this box and saw what was inside. I got four gorgeous and perfectly Halloween appropriate nail polishes, some really nice looking skin and hand care products, a couple of twistbands, and even some candy corn! When I totaled up the retail value of everything in my mystery box, it was worth over $140! Needless to say I am really happy I pulled the trigger with making this purchase. Here's a quick overview of the goodies inside my box:
  • Mask Noir
  • Mighty Nails and Cuticle Serum
  • Elxir Organic Moroccan Argan Oil
  • Lola Nail polish
  • Kendra Nail polish
  • Tatiana Nail polish
  • Estelle Nail polish
  • Twistbands
  • Candy corn

Elixir Organic Moroccan Argan Oil - $24.00
Argan oil is a multitasking wonder that has taken the beauty world by storm. It can smooth split ends, heal dry cuticles, and easily hydrate parched or cracked skin. I've got a sample of Josie Maran Argan Oil at home, but it will be nice to have this full-sized bottle to follow it! I've heard that argan oil can be very helpful in the treatment of acne, which I'm curious to see. I might try mixing this in with my night time moisturizer to add some extra healing and nourishing power to it.

Mask Noir - $32.00
The first thing that I thought when I saw this mask was that it reminded me of Boscia's Luminizing Black Mask (which I love). This peel off mask has Kaolin Clay to absorb excess oil, Hectorite to remove dead skin and debris, as well as Julep's special Power Cell Complex, which combines a variety of plant oils and extracts to soothe, repair, and hydrate skin, as well as promote cell turnover. With such powerhouse ingredients, I'm really curious to see how this mask affects my skin, and whether or not regular use will make any noticeable differences. At the very least, it'll be fun to use!


Mighty Nail & Cuticle Serum - $28.00
I am THE WORST when it comes to picking at my dry cuticles. This convenient pen could be a miracle when it comes to getting me to break the habit by keeping my cuticles soft and moisturized. While I already have Julep's Cuticle Oil at home, this serum is also supposed to help strengthen your nails with regular use. I've been rocking nail polish a lot lately with all of my new colors to play with, so I think this will be helpful to keep my nail beds looking good.



I am too excited about these four gorgeous nail polish shades. Not only are they totally different from anything else I currently own, but all four have completely different finishes. Here is a closer look at each color individually!

Lola (It Girl) - $14.00
Finish: Silk/Satin
Color Description: Moonlit night blue satin


This dark navy blue shade is to die for. The satin finish is something that I think looks really pretty, especially with dark, moody colors.


Kendra (It Girl) - $14.00
Finish: Sheer/Frost/Pearl
Color Description: Army green frost


Green is one shade I am severely lacking in my nail polish collection. I'm not normally a huge fan, but I think this particular shade is gorgeous and totally wearable. It has a totally glossy finish, and the subtle shimmer is oh-so-pretty. 



Tatiana (Boho Glam) - $14.00
Finish: Shimmer
Color Description: Golden burnt orange microglitter


What says Halloween better than a sparkly orange nail polish?? Tatiana is actually a sheer polish that is packed full of burnt orange glitter, and leaves your nails looking extra sparkly and festive. While I think some oranges are off-putting, I think this one is dark enough that it still looks sophisticated and easily wearable.


Estelle (Boho Glam) - $14.00
Finish: Glitter
Color Description: Midnight black with holographic shimmer


While this shade is a bit sheer on it's own, it would look amazing over a solid black polish. It's chock full of black particles and multicolored glitter that can amp up your look easily. If you're one for the statement nail, this would be an excellent color to reach for. Also, the finish is actually gritty and textured, so make sure to follow up with top coat if you want your nails to have a glossy look.

Basically, amazing. I will definitely be on the look out for other mystery boxes from Julep this holiday season! You don't have to be a Maven to order from their online website, so if you would love to get in on the mystery box action, you still can without subscribing. I will definitely try to spread the word the next time one becomes available!