Monday, October 20, 2014

Everyday Autumn Makeup and a Few Thoughts on the Season


I had a bit of a revelation the other day. It's been a good 5 years since I've graduated from college, and all this time I've spent in the real world has made me realize how much of my life previously revolved around the school schedule. The passing of seasons was always about semesters, exams, vacations and the like. But now time flows on from January to October with very little changing in my day to day routine. Without my normal academic calendar to anchor my life to I think the first couple of years post college were a bit of a blur. It's a bit weird to think about, but in that time I think I stopped noticing the seasons. Or well, perhaps notice isn't the right word. Appreciating might be more fitting. In the past two years, though, since I've bought my condo and started blogging, I've finally started to redefine the special nuances of each season that comes and goes.

Now that fall is well underway I find myself appreciating all sorts of little things - wearing my boots at every opportunity, going apple picking, sipping pumpkin coffee in the morning, watching the leaves turn and change from week to week. It's not that any of these things are new to me, but I guess, with everything else in life moving along in a constant, predictable way, I look forward to things like putting out my Halloween decorations.

It should be no surprise then, to hear that I've totally revamped my makeup routine for autumn. The BB and CC creams of summertime are back in storage, along with an assortment of coral lipsticks and blushes to make room for berries, neutrals, and all things matte.


While there's something to be said for a sheer base, I've really been gravitating towards products with heavier coverage and a flawless matte finish. The super smooth, mousse like consistency of Revlon's Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup glides beautifully on skin to cover imperfections. I keep it from budging and control any excess shine in my T-Zone with Physician's Formula Organic Wear Pressed Powder. To give my face back a little definition, I like to do some soft contouring on my cheekbones and around my hairline with Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer. It's perfect for lighter complexions, has a matte finish, AND is made with real cocoa powder (who doesn't want their face to smell like hot chocolate? I mean, really.). I'll add that rosy glow to my cheeks with a bit of MAKE Satin Finish Powder Blush in Geisha. It's truly the perfect everyday pink.

I've been keeping my eyes very simple and neutral lately. Benefit Gimme Brow is my go-to for grooming and filling in brows in one easy step. Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil has been on my dresser as a daily staple for the past year for adding brightness to places like brow bones, cheek bones, and my cupid's bow. I skip the shadow, and go straight for a quick sweep of Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Demolition along my upper lashes. Since I just received Model Co Volumeyes Extreme Black Mascara in my October Glambag, I've added it in to my daily rotation to try it out. It seems to create a bit of definition and volume while still looking pretty natural. And no flakes or smudging, which is always a plus.

I've kept everything in my fall look so far pretty neutral and low key, because I've been all about rocking the bold lips. To keep everything from fading or feathering, I prep first with NYX Lip Primer. While there are quite a few bold berry lipsticks in my rotation, my current favorite is Hikari Lipstick in Cabernet. It's a gorgeous matte wine shade that I get so many compliments on.


What makeup trends have you been sporting this season? Are there any products you've been hooked on?