Saturday, October 11, 2014

9 Natural Beauty Brands You Should Be Trying


As a self-proclaimed beauty junkie I've tried A LOT of different products over the years. While there are a lot of things I consider when writing a review (packaging, performance, and cost, to name a few) I've been more conscious than ever about what is on the ingredients list. So many companies opt to use potentially harmful chemicals and substances in their products to lower their manufacturing costs. As someone who cares about what I'm putting on and into my body I've started to gravitate toward natural and organic beauty brands that offer quality products that I can feel good about using. Here's a quick look at 9 of my favorite companies and some of the products I've tried.


100% Pure
Just like the name implies, this brand is 100% about using the most pure, natural ingredients in their products. Not only do they have a huge range of offerings - from nail polish, to acne treatment, to baby care, they're also all completely free of synthetic ingredients and preservatives, artificial fragrances and colors and other potentially toxic substances. Their Coconut Nourishing Body Cream ($17) is wonderfully hydrating without being greasy and smells oh-so-delicious. Also, I was really impressed by their Creamy Nail Polish ($12), which was chip-resistant, easy to apply, and very well pigmented!

My To-Try List: Blackberry Fruit Pigmented Mascara ($21), Organic Lavender Sea Therapy Bath ($21)


Acure Organics
Acure takes the natural and organic approach toward beauty and steps it up a notch with the use of cutting edge science to create products that effectively fight aging without being harmful to you or to the environment. I recently received their Day Cream ($18.99) in my Birchbox and was definitely a fan. It's a super rich moisturizer with a bright citrus fragrance that uses Gotu Kola Stem Cells to fight free radicals and environmental damage.

My To-Try List: Moisturizing Root Repair Deep Conditioning Hair Mask ($14.99), Radical Resurfacing Facial Treatment ($19.99)


Burt's Bees
Just about everyone (with the exception of those folks living under rocks) has probably seen, heard of, or owned Burt's Bees classic beeswax peppermint lip balm. And while it does wonders for keeping chapped lips at bay, it's certainly not the only awesome product the company has to offer. With a full range of body and skincare products, as well as an expanded line of lip care (so you can now get your gloss on), you've got plenty of options to pick from to keep your skin looking and feeling its best. If you're looking for sheer, shimmering color with a soft, herbaceous scent definitely check out their 100% Natural Lip Gloss ($9). And if a hydrating, non-greasy hand cream is your need, their Ultimate Care Hand Cream ($13) will definitely fit the bill.

My To-Try List: Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleaning Towelettes ($6), Natural Acne Solutions Targeted Spot Treatment ($10)


COOLA
We all know it's important to protect our skin from the sun. COOLA offers an organic approach to sun protection, keeping you covered from head to toe on any occasion. Every summer I can't live without my Liplux SPF 15 Peppermint + Vanilla ($12), which not only protects my lips from sun damage, but also smells and tastes extra delicious. Their Unscented Matte Tint Mineral Sunscreen for Face ($36) is also great for those warmer months, which offers sheer coverage in a mousse like lotion and can be worn alone or under your foundation for extra sun protection.

My To-Try List: Sport SPF 50 Fresh Mango Moisturizer ($32), Cucumber Melon Natural Body Lotion Bar ($22)


Juice Beauty
Rather than formulate their products with water or petroleum derivatives, this organic skincare and beauty line chooses to use antioxidant and vitamin rich fruit juices as their primary ingredient. If I'm in need of some skin brightening, I love to use their Green Apple Peel Sensitive ($39), which is gentle enough to not irritate my acne prone skin. Their Reflecting Gloss ($15) not only smells and tastes fruity and delicious, but also leaves your lips looking beautifully glossy.

My To-Try List: Stem Cellular CC Cream ($39), Green Apple Blemish Clearing Peel ($39)


Michael Todd True Organics
This brand is all about creating high quality organic skincare with no cheap and potentially harmful filler ingredients. They even have a men's line for the health conscious guy in your life. I couldn't get enough of their Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub ($18.50), which does an awesome job of declogging pores and decongesting problem skin.

My To-Try List: Honey and Oat Gentle Deep Pore Cleanser ($22), Pumpkin Nutrient Rich Facial Mask ($34)


Pacifica
From beautiful packaging to beautiful ingredients, Pacifica has a gorgeous range of products that you can feel just as good about putting on your face as you do about displaying them on your dresser. They've got a little bit of everything - from skincare, to makeup, to body care, fragrance, and even products for your home - and it's all vegan and cruelty free. I recently got to try their Natural Waterproof Eye Pencil ($11) from my Ipsy Glambag, and it performs just as well as my other eyeliners without any of their harsh or potentially irritating chemicals.

My To-Try List: Malibu Lemon Body Butter ($15), 7-Free Nail Polish ($9)


W3ll People
If you're concerned about the health and safety of the ingredients in your makeup, W3ll people has you covered. They've created a 100% natural cosmetics line that doesn't sacrifice performance for quality of ingredients. I love their Universalist Matte Multi-Use Colorstick ($34.50), which adds a pretty pop of color to lips, cheeks, or even eyes.

My To-Try List: Narcissist Stick Foundation ($39.75), Realist X Mineral Primer/Polisher ($24)


Yes to Carrots
We all know it's important to eat fruits and veggies to keep our body healthy, so of course it makes sense to nourish our skin with them too! Focusing on the beneficial properties of different ingredients (like anti-aging from blueberries, or blemish clearing from tomatoes) Yes to Carrots offers a range of products that can tackle any skincare woe, while still being 95% natural.  Their Yes to Cucumbers Facial Wipes ($5.99) are great for cleaning and refreshing your skin on-the-go and are perfect for sensitive skin.

My To-Try List: Yes to Coconut Head-to-Toe Restoring Balm ($9.99), Yes to Tomatoes Clearing Facial Mask ($14.99)



What are some of your favorite natural and organic beauty brands? Who should I try next?