Saturday, March 15, 2014

February 2014 Glambag


As per the usual, I'm a bit fashionably late with my February Glambag post. This month was all about creating the Look of Love, just in time for Valentine's day. I had high hopes for this month's products, but ultimately was a bit let down by the quality of some of the items I received. Let me break it down for you.


Jesse's Girl 9-Pan Eyeshadow Compact in Brown Eyed Girl
$3.99, Full-Sized

After Ipsy released their February sneak peeks, I was hoping to get this eyeshadow palette. I was secretly hoping for one of the other color combinations, but a palette of orange and brown tones is pretty easily wearable. I have pretty mixed feelings about the quality of these shadows. The lighter toned shades were very powdery, and I had a hard time getting them visible (even with primer). The darker shades are much more pigmented and easily blendable. I think the swatch I created above (over my NARS eye primer) mostly speaks for itself. I have so many other shadow palettes I'm totally in love with and that perform beautifully, I'm not sure how much use I will ultimately get out of this.


J.cat Beauty Eyelashes + Eyelash Glue
$3.99, Full-Sized

I have a love/hate relationship with fake eyelashes. As a competitive ballroom dancer I've had my fair share of having to glue these babies on my barely awake eyes at 5 am. However, I do love the way they make your eyes look, especially when you're rocking super dramatic makeup. In a way they're almost a necessity to balance things out. That being said, now that I am not dancing anymore, falsie use is pretty much limited to only very special occasions. I will be saving these bad boys for a special night out!


Dr. Lin Skincare Acne Spot Corrector
Sample Value, $4.50 (Full-Size $8.99)

Having acne, I have quite an arsenal of medications and treatment products in my cabinet. Benzyol Peroxide used to be my go-to blemish buster, but in the past couple of years I've tried to steer away from it. Part of this decision was that Benzoyl Peroxide will bleach fabrics, and I was tired of ruining my sheets and towels. The other part was that my skin had grown a bit immune to it's effects, and I found that even super strong doses (10% or higher) wasn't doing much to kill off pimples. I switched my spot treatment to tea tree oil and found that it worked wonders. Needless to say, I have not tried this product out yet, but I may be utilizing it if I get a large and angry blemish to see how it responds.


POP Beauty Plump Pout in Fuchsia Freesia
Sample Value, $8 ($16 Full-Sized)

Oh POP Beauty. I want to like you, I really do. But just about every experience I've had with POP Beauty products has been a bit sub-par. I had high hopes for this gloss. The packaging is really quite nice (and reminiscent of a certain prestige brand), and the color was bright and fun for warmer weather. However, I think I might have gotten an expired product or something, because the smell was unbearably awful (in that slightly rotten kind of way). I couldn't even keep it on my lips to give it any sort of proper review. Alas, I think this one might be getting tossed immediately.


ZOYA Nail Polish in Odette
$9 Full-Sized

There are times when I'm not too thrilled about the fact that Ipsy seems to constantly offer products from the same brands month after month. And then they'll give us another Zoya nail polish and I'll rescind that sentiment temporarily. I am totally in love with the Zoya Naturel collection, and after receiving this polish I am the proud owner of four out of the six available colors. Odette is a beautiful muted wisteria color - the kind of purple that's totally workplace appropriate. Zoya polishes can be a little tricky to work with (the formula is on the thin side) but with careful application, two coats will give you a beautiful opaque finish. 


And there you have it, folks. The Zoya nail polish pretty much made this bag for me, and at $9, made the $10 price I paid for this bag somewhat redeemable. I'm sure I will eventually make use of the eyelashes and acne spot corrector, but I was not so impressed by the eyeshadow and lip gloss. I've peeked at my March Glam Room (I just can't help it) and I'm pretty pumped for what I'm getting. I'm hoping it'll be in my mailbox later this afternoon!

Total Bag Value: $29.48

For more information on Ipsy and to check out my previous Glambags, check out my boxes page!