Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Smokey Green Eye


Top o' the morning to yea!

It's Monday (boo) but it also happens to be the day when everyone is Irish (yay!). In celebration of today's festivities, I decided to get my green on and showcase a super intense, emerald smokey eye.


To get this look, I actually started with my eyes before applying any foundation/concealer/etc. I know that my green shimmer shadow can produce a bit of glitter fallout, so I figured for easy clean-up, I would wait to create my base until after my eyes were done.

I started by washing Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Sin from the upper crease to the brow bone, and along the inner corner of my lids. Then I got my green on using the Sephora + Pantone Universe Lightspeed Glitter Dust in Emerald. Using a dense smudger brush I patted the color into my lids, concentrating the most toward the lashes, and blending upward toward the crease. I used a fluffy blender brush to soften any edges. Then, using Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Perversion, I used the same smudger brush to apply this dark black shadow along the lash line, and blended it upwards into the green. Using a black liquid liner (I used the Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Liner) I drew a super thick winged line along my lashes. Making good on another of last year's Sephora + Pantone Universe Products, I used the Graphic Shift Liquid Liner in Emerald to draw a second line along the black one.

To balance out the bottom half of my eyes, I applied Urban Decay's 24/7 Eyeliner Pencil in Perversion along my waterline. Then, using a pointed shadow brush, I gently smudged a bit of the Perversion shadow below my lower lashes, and then patted in a bit of the Emerald Glitter Dust. A few pumps of a good eyelash curler and sweeps of volumizing mascara are all that's left to finish off this smokey eye.

Because this eye look is so intense, I kept the rest of my makeup very neutral. Dr. Jart+ BB Cream balances out my complexion and covers up any imperfections. A little dab of concealer may also be handy if the coverage of the BB cream alone isn't enough. To give my skin a little glow I used the color Incandescent Light from my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder palette to highlight along my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose. In lieu of blush, I applied the color Radiant Light to the apples of my cheeks for a subtle wash of color. On my lips I went for the sheer nude color of Cargo's Lip Gloss in Las Vegas Strip.


I don't have anything too exciting planned festivity-wise for this evening. Perhaps I'll crack open a Guinness to unwind after work. How are you celebrating St. Patrick's Day?