Friday, March 14, 2014

Tea-Time Me-Time


I can't definitively prove that there is some kind of cosmic energy that connects everything in the Universe, but after a week like this one, I've got enough personal evidence. Maybe it just comes down to the old adage, "When it rains, it pours". Either way, it feels like everyone I know has been going through a rough patch lately.

In my experience, I find that it's easy to get swallowed up in negative feelings - be it anxiety, grief, disappointment - when we can't seem to find the time to take care of ourselves. Or, perhaps more accurately, when we can't find the energy to take care of ourselves. It's not always so easy to be gentle and patient with yourself, or to find the motivation to cheer yourself up. I don't know about you, but if I'm feeling down or overwhelmed, my interest level in just about everything is hovering around zero.

Earlier today I was feeling more than excited to finally have a night to myself to stay home, catch up on my TV shows (Pretty Little Liars, anyone?), do some cleaning, and maybe make some blogging progress. Unfortunately, with the day's events, the thrill of me-time quickly dissipated, and I was left feeling rather ambivalent toward the entire prospect. Being the classic over achieving, on-the-go, constantly busy type, I felt a bit guilty at the prospect of cheating out on my plans (even when those plans were to, you know...relax).

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize how incredibly hard I am on myself. It's so easy to get caught up in the "shoulds" of life. I should be doing this. I should be feeling that. They're conditions that I've created based on the sometimes unreasonable expectations I've put on myself. In the end, though, the only thing I should be worried about is learning to tune in to my needs, and accepting that they can change from moment to moment.

So, for tonight, I decided to foresake my productive intentions in lieu of a bath, a cup of tea, and a much needed manicure.


My cup of choice for the evening was a blend of Teavana's Peach Tranquility and Pineapple Kona Pop herbal teas with a bit of rock sugar. Together they make a deliciously sweet, fruity combination that is totally caffeine free.

On my nails I decided to try out Revlon's new Parfumerie Scented Nail Enamel in the color Apricot Nectar. It's a beautiful pastel coral-toned shade that screams springtime. I have to say, it also does smell delicious! I've never had a more pleasant smelling experience of painting my nails. I also picked up another of these polishes to try, so a more in-dept review is definitely on the to-do list.


Speaking of the to-do list, I have SO many posts planned for the coming weeks. I've got a rockin' green eye makeup look for your St. Patrick's Day celebrations, my February Glambag review (fashionably late, as always), and a few other fun surprises up my sleeve.

For now, though, I'm going to opt for getting a good night's sleep, and starting fresh in the morning. I hope you all have wonderful weekends ahead of you!

<3 Lauren