Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Things - Pink & Coral Drugstore Picks


If you haven't already noticed, I'm really excited about spring.

I would say maybe a little too excited, but then again, can you really blame me?

One of the things I love most about this time of year is the explosion of color everywhere- in nature, in homes, on racks and shelves in stores. When I was much younger (think circa 1992) my favorite color in the world was undoubtedly pink. I don't even know if "favorite color" properly expresses my complete obsession, but we'll roll with it. As I've gotten older I've found myself head-over-heels in love with pink's slightly more sophisticated cousin, coral. Regardless, both of these shades are equally perfect for the transition into the bright, happy, warmer months to come.
I've done quite a bit of drugstore makeup shopping recently. As an avid bargain-hunter and coupon-clipper it's incredibly satisfying to get a $9 or $10 product for $2 or $3, so I really just can't pass up such opportunities as they present themselves. Lately I've come across quite a few really beautiful pink and coral toned products, so I just had to share!


Revlon Parfumerie Scented Nail Enamel
$5.99

A whole new way to experience color. Vibrant, shiny shades go on smoothly for flawless color then dry to light, irresistible fragrances. In 24 scented colors. 

I wasn't so sure how I was going to feel about scented nail polish, but they ended up being quite fun. I chose the shades Apricot Nectar, a pastel coral-orange, and Pink Pineapple, a sheer pastel pink. Formula wise, I found these polishes to be a tiny bit on the sheer side, and therefore a little difficult to work with. I found that three thin coats gave much more even, opaque coverage than two thicker coats. I didn't end up applying any top coat, as I thought it would ruin the whole scent factor. Without it, they still seemed to have pretty decent lasting power, with no chips for 4+ days. The scent factor is really the selling point for these polishes. Both of these shades gave off sweet, fruity scents that were true to their descriptions. The scent hits you as soon as the polish starts to dry, which makes for one of the better smelling manicures I've given myself. I would say that the scent is most intense for the first 24 hours, and then quickly dissipates after that. For the price, especially if you can score them on a buy one get one 50% off sale, they are definitely worth checking out. Sidenote, how pretty are these bottles?


Revlon Highlighting Palette in Rose Glow
$10.99

All over sun kissed glow. Complimentary shimmer shades blend to enhance the complexion for a radiant sun kissed look. Easy to blend, buildable color gives a multi-dimensional sculpted look. Available in 3 shimmery shades. 

If you read my last drugstore haul post, you'll know that I picked this palette up about a month ago or so. It gives lighter complexions a beautifully shimmery pink flush to cheeks, and can be used to highlight on darker complexions. While you are meant to swirl your brush through all five colors, you could easily multi-task this product as an eyeshadow, and pick up individual colors with a smaller brush as you see fit.


Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
$7.99

A luxurious powder blush that features a mélange infusion of colors baked on Italian terracotta tiles. Easy to use, sensorial in texture, the nuances of color become extraordinarily luminous. Silky smooth application leaves your face looking healthy and radiant all day.

I've had my eye on these Milani baked blushes forever, and I am SO glad that I finally took the plunge and picked one up. So, the color Luminoso is technically more on the peachy-pink side...but it's just so gorgeous that I couldn't resist including it in this post. It gives your cheeks that subtle flush that looks incredibly natural and beautiful. It has a hint of shimmer that isn't overpowering, and gives you that glowing-from-within finish. It wears really well, and doesn't seem to fade all that much on my skin from the time I leave the house in the morning to the time I get home. For the price, I think these blushes are some of the prettiest you can pick up at the drugstore right now!


Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal By Eyestudio 24 Hour Eyeshadow in Inked in Pink
$6.99

Cream gel eyeshadow for long-lasting shimmery metallic shades. 24HR wear cream gel formula for smooth application.

If you haven't tried Maybelline's Color Tattoo shadows, you're kind of missing out on an amazing thing (you can check out my previous post about them from last fall here). Easy to apply and super long wearing, these cream shadows can either be worn alone, or as a base underneath powder shadows. Inked in Pink is a beautiful metallic cool-toned pink that I've been wearing a lot on days where I don't feel like doing anything particularly complicated on my eyes.


NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Antwerp
$6.00

Neither lipstick nor lip gloss, this matte lip cream is a new kind of lip color that goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. Soft Matte Lip Cream is surprisingly durable and, unlike some matte lipstick formulas, also moisturizing.

I love love love this product. The texture is unique - almost mousse like - and feels incredibly light on the lips. It dries to an opaque, matte finish, and wears incredibly well. Antwerp is a vibrant coral-red shade that makes a bold statement while also being pretty daytime wearable. And, as with all NYX lip products, it smells AMAZING. Sort of like a vanilla cupcake. I will say, especially because of the matte finish, you definitely want to make sure your lips are smooth and chap free before applying, because any dryness will be emphasized.



Maybelline Color Elixir in Celestial Coral
$8.99

Fall under the spell of the elixir effect. Hyper-saturated color, ultra cushiony feel. The new hypnotic lip sensation.

Another find from my last drugstore beauty haul, the Maybelline Color Elixirs fall somewhere between a lip gloss and a lip lacquer. They have a bit of that glossy, sheer finish, but still contain quite a bit of pigment. Celestial Coral is a beautiful shade for spring. It's quite vibrant, but sheer enough to not be overwhelming. The applicator is a bit unique, as it's kind of leaf shaped, which makes precise application around areas like your cupids bow that much easier.


Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm
$8.99

Twist up the color and glide on the shine. Treat your lips to a balm fortified with shea and mango butters for a smooth look with a hint of color.

I think just about every makeup brand has started to develop their take on the chubby stick. These Covergirl pencils were a bit of an impulse buy, but I've actually been really happy with them. I got two shades - Blush Twist and Coral Twist. These lippies are hydrating and sheer like a balm, but have a bit of a glossy finish. They're so easy to keep in your purse and apply on the go. I find the Coral Twist shade to be a bit more pigmented, so I'm a little leery of applying that one sans mirror, while Blush Twist is frequently reapplied while sitting in my cubicle at work. I also think the packaging is quite nice and for a drugstore pencil, looks a bit more high-end.

From left to right: Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in Coral Twist, Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in Blush Twist, Maybelline Color Elixir in Celestial Coral, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Antwerp


What I'm Wearing:
- Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hr Eyeshadow in Inked in Pink on my lids
- Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso on my cheeks
- Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm in Blush Twist on my lips

While I was out shopping, I also decided to buy myself some fresh flowers. Sometimes you just need pretty things in your living space to keep the good vibes going.


I hope you enjoyed looking at all my pink and coral makeup picks! I don't think I realized how many I had until I started actually writing up this post. Do you have any favorite spring products that you're excited about? I'd love to hear about them.

In the meantime, it's Sunday, which means it's time for me to go make myself a cup of coffee and start going through the ads in the newspaper. I hope your weekends are all going well!