Saturday, April 25, 2015

April 2015 Glambag


Spring is the perfect season to sport breezy, funky, flowy bohemian fashion, so Ipsy is totally on point with their April Glambag theme. With all the hype around Coachella I'm sure that more people are taking trips to Free People and Anthropologie than ever. While my personal style is more "Bohemian Light", I'm totally loving this month's bag (even if I have sort of mixed feelings about the stuff that's packed inside of it).


I was pretty happy with my March Glambag, so I was hoping the positive trend would continue with this month. So far I'm sort of on the fence with things. I know that some Ipsters received Too Faced Melted Lipsticks or full sized Elizabeth Arden lipsticks, so I'm kind of bummed that I didn't receive any super luxe products myself (I know, I know #firstworldproblems). Here's a quick rundown of the products I did receive:



Introducing theBalm's latest addition to the Nude series... Nude Dude! Get a quick look using any combination of these triple-milled shadows or dress up your look by adding water to transform your favorite shades into loyal liners. The shadows can be worn wet or dry and alone or layered for added intensity, so go ahead and cover (or uncover) your eyes.

Full Size, 12 shadow palette ($36)
Sample Size, single shadow ($3)


While I don't own a ton from theBalm, I do really like the line quite a bit. I think they have some great quality products, including their eyeshadow palettes. The only reason I haven't purchased one is because I already have eyeshadow palettes coming out the wazoo. The shade Fit is a nice neutral bronze shade with a shimmery finish, making it quite a versatile shadow. Truly the whole Nude Dude palette looks like it'd be awesome if you were in the market for that kind of item. Alas, I am not (although it's always tempting to buy, you know...everything). Odds are this little shadow single will probably end up collecting dust after a few uses, so I may try to find it a new home where it'll be better appreciated.




The Mullein & Sparrow Mini Lip & Cheek Tint is an all-natural, sheer, tinted balm that gives your lips and cheeks a slight flush and dewy finish. Apply desired amount to lips for nourishment, protection, and color. Dab a small amount on cheeks as a light cream blush. It’s perfect for beauty on-the-go; it brightens the whole face with a sheer rosey flush for the cheeks, gloss for the lips, and a sweet orange scent! 

Full Size, 1 oz ($22)
Sample Size, 0.25 oz ($5.50)


When I saw I was going to be getting a Mullein & Sparrow product in my Glambag I was pumped. I really loved the bath salts that came in my Fresh Start Birchbox, and I was interested in trying more from the brand. Unfortunately I was not entirely impressed by this product. As a lip balm I suppose it's nice. It has a pleasant orange smell and the formula is chock full of natural ingredients. However, it's basically got zero pigmentation. I'm all for a sheer wash of color, but if a product claims to be for both lips AND cheeks I expect to be able to see it. I think the packaging is quite cute, and I wouldn't mind toting this around in my bag to use as a lip balm. However, I don't think I'd ever recommend purchasing the full sized tin, especially for the price.




You won’t be a damsel in distress with this JulieG Nail Color! Highly-pigmented, no chip formula, with a brush applicator that glides on smooth for the perfect application. 

Full Size, 0.35 oz ($3.99)

When it comes to nail polish, never judge a formula by it's price. Some of the cheapest polishes out there end up being ridiculously good, this being one of them. I was really impressed by how creamy and opaque this formula was. It applied without the slightest streakiness and dried to a glossy finish. Just to show you, the swatch above is with just a single coat of polish and no topcoat. I also love this vibrant pink color. It screams summer and margarita weather.




MicaBeauty Eye Primer is perfect for everything from sealing in eye shadows and foundation, to enhancing your all-day look. Go from shimmer to matte in just seconds. This waterproof formula provides the perfect foundation for a long-lasting, smudge proof look that is designed for your active lifestyle. This eye primer helps even out skin tone as well as extending and intensifying your mineral eye shadows, without creasing, smearing, or fading. 

Full Size, 8 g ($44.95)
Sample Size, 4 g ($22.48)


Eye primer is a total beauty staple of mine, but I rarely stray from my tried and true favorites. This neutral base is very thick and has a sticky, glue-like sort of texture. I thought it might be handy to apply it using the concealer brush I received this month, but I actually found doing so surprisingly difficult, probably because the product is too stiff to easily be picked up by the brush. Once you blend it in with your fingers it does create a nice canvas which makes eyeshadows pop and stay in place. As far as primers go, it definitely does the job, although I think there are way more affordable options that are a little more easily blendable.




The Crown Brush Oval Concealer Brush is made of 100% Flexible Japanese Torray Taklon Bristles (synthetic). The brush can be used for application and blending of all concealer formulas, emollient products and for applying cream based shadows. The tapered tip is for precision placement and great for use around the lip area to conceal when wearing bold colors.

Full Size ($7.45)


I'm not quite sure why I keep getting brushes in my Glambag, because I know my most updated profile does not have brushes listed as one of my favorite items, but I suppose I shouldn't complain all that much. This concealer brush has synthetic bristles, which should make it easy to clean and maintain. I think it'll be a handy little brush to have around for applying cream based eyeshadows in addition to concealer. It's not the most artistically designed or exciting brush I've seen, but I know I'll have practical use for it and truly that's all that matters.




Pamper your lips with a hydrating kiss of smooth Butter Lipstick in 22 luxurious shades. The delicate texture of satin fused with the high color saturation creates an even finish on lips that’s long-wearing and beautiful.

Full Size, 0.16 oz


Ipsy's point system makes me a little cranky, and I'm often not too impressed with the products you can redeem. However, I love the formula of these lipsticks, so when I saw them available for a 500 point reward I figured I might as well snag one. Little Suzie ended up being a much brighter pink shade than I was anticipating, but it'll still be nice and cheery for the spring and summer.




And that about wraps things up! Honestly I think my favorite thing about this entire month was the bag. I love the whole woven natural fiber thing it's got going on. It has a higher quality feel than a typical vinyl bag, and the pattern and colors are perfect for summer. I could definitely see this being my go-to bag for packing a few cosmetics on beach or picnic days! As for my samples, my total bag value rings in at $42.42 (not including my bonus Butter Lipstick). The Mica Primer really beefed up my bag value, being worth over $20 just by itself. In the end I'm not really head over heels in love with any one particular item, although none of them were terrible either. Such seems to be the general trend with Ipsy. If you got some great items in your Ipsy bag I'd love to hear about them!

Interested in getting your own Glambag? I would really appreciate it if you used my referral link to become an Ipsy Subscriber! You can also check out reviews of all my previous bags here.